Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

A moment of silence for restaurants closed by the pandemic

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

A moment of silence for restaurants closed by the pandemic

China Inn near U of L closed after 30 years.

It's been almost two months since Gov. Andy Beshear ordered Kentucky restaurants closed to sit-down dining in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic, and even with the partial reopening of restaurants at 33 percent indoor capacity (moving up to 50 percent on June 22), the restaurant scene looks very different than it did before the pandemic.

The region's restaurants are struggling against this gut punch, and they deserve all the help we can give them through carryout, curbside, and home delivery – not to mention generous tipping – but we have to face the reality that Louisville's great restaurant scene is going to look very different when this is over.

While many local restaurants have reopened within the state's social-distancing and capacity restraints, many are waiting cautiously or continuing to offer only takeout but no sit-down dining. Others remain closed indefinitely, hoping to reopen in the future when or if the pandemic has passed.

Let's take a moment of silence, too, to remember the local restaurants that are permanently closed. Here's a list of fourteen that I know of. If you know of others, please let me know so we can add them to the list.

China Inn
    Eddie Merlot's
    Eiderdown (changing to catering)
    Hearth on Mellwood (replaced by second Chik'n & Mi)
    Johnny Brusco's Pizza (replaced by second Old School NY Pizza)
    Kobe Japanese Steakhouse
    Lilly's
    Lola's Kitchen
    Migo (replaced by second Hammerheads)
    Milkwood (becoming McAtee's Kitchen)
    North End Cafe
    Ostra
    Scarlet's Bakery
    Verbena

Wipe your eyes now, and toss up a high-five to the handful of bold entrepreneurs who have chosen to open new restaurants in the middle of the storm. Again, these are the ones I know for sure. Let me know if other new arrivals should be included.

Read the article on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/resta ... d-pandemic
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: A moment of silence for restaurants closed by the pandem

by JustinHammond » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:59 pm

A little addition on Eddie Merlot's. I just got a gift card for there 3 weeks ago. Below is the response to how they are handling the situation.

"Our future in Louisville has not been determined as stated in the news recently. We love Louisville and we are working hard to stay in the community. We are not offering refunds on gift cards but hope that you will be able to use your gift card at either our current location or at a new location in Louisville. You may also use your gift card at any Eddie Merlot’s location across the country, including our locations in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. You may also use your gift card on our online store, featuring wine glasses, steak knives, and soon we will be offering our prime aged beef shipped directly to your door. We thank you for being a guest and we hope to see you soon."​
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:19 pm

Can we at least put an asterisk on North End Cafe, since their closure had as much (if not more) to do with their own mistreatment of their employees and its legal fallout as it did with the pandemic?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Jeff I hear you, but from the consumer standpoint, it was a popular place and many will miss it. It's sort of like the way that a funeral eulogy doesn't highlight the dearly departed's flaws ... de mortuis ni nisi bonum. No harm in you pointing it out in this thread, thouth. :twisted: