Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

About those gift cards people bought when everything closed

by Nathaniel C » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Just putting out a feeler here, since I know we have some industry professionals on the board. I have a cache of gift cards to various establishments, some of which I received prior to COVID, and some of which I purchased to support local businesses. I understand that restaurants need revenue right now, and therefore it's not good for them to be flooded with people paying with gift cards.

Is it proper etiquette to ask the server or bartender whether they are currently accepting gift cards for payment? At restaurants I frequent, what's an appropriate interval for using them--once a month, once a week, etc.?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: About those gift cards people bought when everything clo

by GaryF » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:31 am

While I imagine that any reputable restaurant would honor their gift cards I honestly think this isn't the time to start redeeming them.
Most restaurants are struggling to stay afloat without the added expense of money and product in the form of gift cards walking out the door.
I would wait until restaurants can seat at 100% capacity to start using your cards- and even then use them sparingly for a while- especially in independent restaurants which don't have the padding of corporate ownership.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: About those gift cards people bought when everything clo

by Nathaniel C » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks for the perspective, I will hold off on attempting to use them for a while. Even when restaurants are allowed to reopen at 100% capacity, I feel like a lot of people will still not be dining out.