Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Varanese sues Beshear

no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Varanese sues Beshear

by Ron Johnson » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:01 am

Edited as original post based on inaccurate reporting.
Last edited by Ron Johnson on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Varanese sues Beshear

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:09 am

Yeah, I think Varenese is going to take a hit from an angry public. I started to say "Stupid never wins," but then I remembered. :twisted:
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:12 am

From courier journal article.

“Varanese is also suing its insurance company, Pennsylvania-based Erie Insurance Exchange, for denying coverage to the restaurant for its lost business.

The lawsuit alleges that Erie denied to pay claims because the business closing order did not occur as a result of property damage. Varanese contends that "there was evidence of property damage, as the presence of the virus in the air and on surfaces may constitute property damage" and is asking a judge to rule on the order.”
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:38 am

Well, I’m done with that place, as well as River House. I doubt I will be the only one. Hole...shovel...
no avatar
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:54 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Well, I’m done with that place, as well as River House. I doubt I will be the only one. Hole...shovel...

+1
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:08 am

and another "+1" over here.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:11 am

Are they suing Beshear/KY to buttress their case against the insurance company? That would make some legal sense.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 am

Next up, Beerancheese sues the city of Cincinnati for sending flood water down the Ohio, flooding his overpriced Kingfish wannabe restaurant.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:38 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Well, I’m done with that place, as well as River House. I doubt I will be the only one. Hole...shovel...

same here. I understand the insurance co for business interruption insurance but the state makes no sense to me.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm done with Varanese also.

And that's a shame - we really liked eating at the bar, listening to the live music, and the pleasant vibe. Always found Chef John and his staff very engaging and personable.

Maybe as was mentioned above the lawsuit is all about getting the insurance company to pay for the lost business, but that is immaterial to me.

There are plenty of other great spots on Frankfort Avenue that are doing things the right way (Irish Rover and El Mundo, to name only two). Those are the places that will get my money.
no avatar
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 pm

I was done a few years ago after I watched Varanase and his folks fall all over Mitch McConnell at the table next to us. :? They pulled our server from our table mid-meal to work his. Whatever.

It’s interesting that folks who are so anti-government, anti-handout, pull yourself up by your bootstraps kind of people think the government should foot the bill here. Would he have forced his staff to work through the pandemic? Yikes.

Suing the insurance company is one thing, I can see that. However, who does he think REALLY pays for the state’s portion of the settlement if he wins? Taxpayers pay for it. Folks who could never afford to eat at his restaurants will be forced to chip in. Why not just straight up ask his loyal customers for the money? Oh wait, they don’t believe in “handouts.”
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:05 pm

We dined at River House on a regular basis and occasionally at Varanese. No more. We will take our business to restaurants that actually have a sense of community and social responsibility.

Bye Felicia

Edit; As for my original reason for this post, I stand corrected due to inaccurate reporting. However, I did not know that Chef Varanese opposed the minimum wage ordinance. Based on that, my original post is just as applicable.
Last edited by Ray Griffith on Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:22 pm

Leah S wrote:Are they suing Beshear/KY to buttress their case against the insurance company? That would make some legal sense.

Usually, if you're doing that, you say something about the governmental entities being indispensable parties and don't go for their jugular. Haven't read the suit, so I can't say whether that was done here.

The litigation surrounding exclusions for communicable diseases which are commonly found in Commercial General Liability policies is going to be interesting to watch.
no avatar
User

Paul T Carney

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 pm

by Paul T Carney » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 pm

I was (am?) plenty upset, haven’t read the suit, but just saw a statement from Varanese himself, and saw the the CJ changed the wording of their story. Love some legal interpretation of this....I’ve been upset with him since his stand against minimum wage reform, but I don’t want to be unjust...

*********""
His response:

Sadly the media has misrepresented us. We have filed a statement of clarification request. We in no way are suing the state to recover money. We are suing our insurance company for failing to honor our loss of business claim. They are stating we did not have to shut down and comply. We could have stayed open. But we did shut down and respectfully honored our government. The state officials are only named because they can help us prove our claim. We are not suing the commonwealth or any government officials for monetary damage. We are doing what we can to protect our business. We paid our insurance to protect us from loss of business but now they want to claim we never had to close. The media misrepresented the lawsuit. We have asked them to clarify the statement.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
– Terry Pratchett
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:10 am

Thanks for the update, Paul. That sounds more reasonable.
I typically wait to comment on things like this; my knee jerk reaction here reinforces that wisdom.
Next