Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We dine well at a proper distance on Selena’s patio

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 am

We dine well at a proper distance on Selena’s patio

A view of Selena's patio frames a tall glass of strong and clear iced tea.

I’ve never been tempted to sample fugu, the Japanese pufferfish whose internal organs are filled with poison so powerful that even a speck left in your sashimi by a careless chef can drop you dead after a few horrifying hours of pain. Plenty of Japanese gourmands will pay upwards of $200 for a fugu meal, but not me.

Why bring this up? Because the idea of sitting down for a meal at a local restaurant during this pandemic felt way too much like bellying up to a fugu bar. I needed to think it over before sitting down to something that’s sounds like fun but that could kill you.

And yet we did it anyway, settling in on the pretty, shady and very properly distanced patio at Selena’s at Willow Lake Tavern this week. We had a good meal and a good time, too, albeit against a backdrop of nervous unease perhaps similar to the emotions that fugu aficionados must feel.

But Kentucky restaurants are reopening, adhering carefully to extensive distancing and sanitation requirements. What could a food writer do? I had to put my fears in check and take part.

But where to go? Among a ton of good options, Selena’s jumped right out. This comfortable little joint in the old Willow Lake Tavern has been a favorite since it came to Louisville a dozen years ago. I like its food and its mood. It has a lovely, tree-shaded patio. And a quick look at its website and Facebook page made it clear that management takes our safety seriously, following all the recommendations set down by the state, city, and U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

Among other things, the restaurant’s capacity is reduced by table spacing that ensures six feet of distance between customers. Laminated menus are sanitized after each use, and hand sanitizer is immediately available on request. All staff wear masks and gloves, and every worker signs a health questionnaire and has a temperature check at the start of each shift.

What’s more, employees must wash or sanitize their hands every 20 minutes during their shifts, Workers must change gloves or wash hands frequently. Frequently touched surfaces are sanitized every 20 minutes, and booths, chairs, and tables are sanitized again after every party leaves.

Outside, blue tape marks proper distancing if there’s a line. The front door is kept locked until a host wearing a mask admits you, and it’s one way traffic from there around to the patio-door exit.

Several bottles of hand sanitizer were placed on the host stand, and tables were placed so far apart that the dining rooms looked strangely empty.

Out on the patio, round black-metal mesh tables and chairs are also carefully spaced. Even when people at nearby tables pushed back, they were still closer to 10 feet than a mere six feet away.

All this felt reassuring as we sat down to dine. On the other hand, you can’t eat with a mask on, so everyone around us was unmasked. I didn’t mind this much, thanks to distancing, until I had a scary fugu moment when I picked up on a woman’s perfume wafting from a table at least 20 feet away. If scent can drift that far, what else might?

A few arriving parties wore masks. Most did not. Happily, no one came close. Even the servers seemed careful about keeping their distance, reaching in from the far side of the table.

Selena’s menu focuses on a blend of Louisiana Creole and Italian-influenced delights. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/dine- ... inas-patio

Selena's at Willow Lake Tavern
10609 Lagrange Road
245-9004
http://selenasrestaurant.com
https://facebook.com/selenasrestaurantlouisville
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: We dine well at a proper distance on Selena’s patio

by Carla G » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:35 am

I think theirs is one of the prettiest patios at which to dine. Happy to hear they are taking these new events seriously. I can’t wait to get back there again!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am

I love Selena's! I chose it for my birthday lunch Monday with my sister and brother. Their staff is committed to safety and precautions; I have talked with them and answered their questions often over the past couple of months. Selena's is a gem!
Stacy Roof
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Hooray for Selena's! They are top shelf operation and I expected them to be getting it right! Thank you, Robin, for going out and reporting that it can, and is, being done safely and properly!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands