Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

How bad is the curfew hurting local restaurants?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Coming along so soon after restaurants just started to reopen, I have to wonder how badly the mayor's metro-wide curfew (and associated concerns about rolling demonstrations) are hurting an already damaged restaurant industry. I know the curfew doesn't start until 9 pm in a generally early dining town, but I still fear it can't help.

Any thoughts, or better yet a voice of experience out there?
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: How bad is the curfew hurting local restaurants?

by Nathaniel C » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:35 pm

This is only one data point, but I had dinner with a friend at Mojito in Havana Saturday night, the first night of the curfew. I had a 6:00 reservation and we were taken straight to our table, but it seemed like there were a handful of people waiting around outside, although they could have been waiting for takeout. The place seemed to be at its 1/3 capacity and there was one fairly large group seated together. I didn't notice as many people waiting around as we were leaving an hour or so later. It seemed like the new normal, to me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks for the data point, Nathaniel. I suspect the curfew followed so soon after the controlled reopening that it's going to be hard to sort out the influences. I'm afraid the curfew sure can't help, though.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:34 am

I got carryout from Mojito last night. The area with garage doors has 1/3 the normal seating, and appeared to be maybe half full at 6:00, so not a huge turnout. I'd probably have dined in, had I known how few people would be there.

Their location is very close to the area where protesters have been gathering in St. Matthews (Shelbyville/Frankfort and Breckenridge/Chenoweth intersection), which may be affecting them more compared to other restaurants.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:18 am

Most restaurants doing curbside carry out were stopping it around 8 pm anyway.