Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: How was it out there last night?

by James Natsis » Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm

In spite of all of the advancements in modern medicine, society will never be fully cured from knuckleheaditis! The images coming out of the Missouri Ozarks last weekend were testimony to this ongoing plight.

I've carefully followed the daily 5:00 pm briefings from our governor over the past few months and am of the 80% or so who see his leadership as being clear and steady. But there are still the 20% crowd who disagree. My blood pressure tends to be at an ideal level in part because I'm learning to accept that in a democracy we all have to accept those differences--for better or for worse.

Thankfully, we live in an era where one can order food through various delivery sources and enjoy it in what one deems as a safe environment. That's a lot better than having to forage for food or cultivate it in hostile environments where snakes, scorpions, bears, lions etc. may have different goals regarding your presence.

Many, many folks are respecting the present realities and have created safe environments for those who choose to venture out a bit. We see masks, social distancing, and use of better hygiene in much of our social space. We are all better off finding that comfort zone that fits our own individual needs and avoiding space that is less inviting. But I must say, having one's own mask and sanitizer in pocket is a pretty good bet that one will make it home ok.
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri May 29, 2020 7:42 am

All of these posters make real sense. They are thoughtful and measured. And I thank all those that have taken the time to post a response. However they seem to be either missing or avoiding the real problems that restaurants/cafes/ coffee shops are facing. There will always be a virus or a health concern to contend with. What kind will vary. It’s been this way forever. We cope and adapt with heightened healthcare procedures, or a better soap or more hand sanitizer stations. Our restaurants always step up to the plate and meet any requirements that have been asked of them. Our health departments do a pretty good job making sure everyone operates by the same standards. I trust this system for the most part. It works pretty well I think.
My concern is that now healthcare along with all of its precautions, has become politicized. And it would seem there are no regulations in place for those that either don’t operate or refuse operate with the more than reasonable considerations in place. Even when there is some sort of law in place there have been few repercussions for those that simply ignore them. Unfortunately restaurants, bars (or any place people congregate socially ) are the new front line of this asinine and inane war. I feel sorry for servers and bartenders that just want a safe place to work, serve some food, pour some drinks and make some tips to pay their bills. Now they are being asked to be some sort of social traffic cop. Grocery store workers have already felt the pushback from trying to maintain safety. Sometimes with serious results. Now we are asking hospitality workers to do the same.
I’ve heard a great deal of harruffeling and “well, good sense and common good will prevail “ and it's all coming from the areas where most of our popular restaurants are located- the Highlands, Crescent Hill, at least inside of 264. These are typically left leaning areas. People are turning a blind eye to what’s happening outside of those areas. While people will normally shop at their closest grocery store (hence the problems at grocery stores and shops in Oldham Co. ) they are more likely to travel to their favorite dining place. I hope this particular roach doesn’t scurry into your area like it has mine but for goodness sake don’t simply shake your head and say “never here” Put together a sane, level headed, legal, plan of response together NOW for employees to follow for when that challenge comes. Because, in all likelihood, it will come.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 am

Carla G wrote:Put together a sane, level headed, legal, plan of response together NOW for employees to follow for when that challenge comes. Because, in all likelihood, it will come.

I think a lot of people have been, but I really hope that when push comes to shove, restaurateurs will do the right thing, rather than the easy thing. All along, we've seen people who have simply refused to do the right thing to make a point, and I really hope that restaurants will be spared this performative sovereign citizen act going forward. That's why I'm in no big hurry to get out there. Saying things are going back to normal isn't the same as them actually going back to normal, and I'd rather wait and let everyone get it out of their system, adapt to the new way forward, and let the novelty of post-lockdown dining wear off.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat May 30, 2020 11:03 am

Carla illustrates the issue at hand exceptionally well. We as restauranteurs have never been able to entirely control the knuckleheads out there who are bent on causing trouble. Determined lunatics will still bring guns into businesses with the intent to threaten or harm, people who are determined to show out against those who have differing views are out there roaming around doing whatever they feel will get a reaction from their perceived opponents. All we can do is train our people how to respond and to protect our guests who are there to enjoy themselves at the expense of no one else. It's all we've ever done or been able to do.

And you're right, carla, I've been very lucky not to have to deal with anyone bent on being an ass during this crisis. I can't even imagine what someone might be out there doing. (but until last week I never expected governors hanging in effigy or renewed race riots, so I guess I'm a bit naive). I'm not sure what unique situations would constitute "immediate peril" as we slowly emerge into the era of post lockdown, but I would assume they would look much like things we have always done to protect people from guests who exhibit signs of communicable disease. If someone is coughing and sneezing all over the place (or god forbid directly at another guest), then we're going to respond accordingly and do whatever is necessary to distance that person from other diners. (and given the times in which we live, likely be required to ask that person to leave the premises, absolutely so in the more extreme latter condition). Fortunately, we've been living with communicable diseases since forever and we have well established health guidelines and procedures to follow with regard to them. Having someone weaponize a communicable disease seems like absolutely madness, but I guess it's happening and it will not be tolerated.

As for businesses that aren't playing by the rules or conducting business safely, first, I would assume and hope the health department is working overtime to identify those places, work with them to get them on the right track, and, sadly, prohibit them from continuing if they refuse to get with the program. But secondly, I would assume that the free market (dirty words I realize) will ultimately prevail and weed them out. Just like a place that sells second rate sushi, they simply won't last in a market that is now more cutthroat than ever. Once word gets around that it's not safe to dine at Cafe Corona, economic Darwin will take care of them. And given the heightened level of vigilance we are seeing and the 12 hour news cycle we live in, that word of mouth will likely spread rapidly. Likewise, I would hope that employees would not be wiling to remain in a job that is unsafe. That too would rapidly erode those places that are not conducting themselves properly or hopefully, instead, demand a change in practice.

This is yet another "we're all in this together" moment and it's going to take a lot of action/reaction for us to figure out what comes next. I strongly encourage anyone not feeling safe or who is extremely concerned about conditions to stay home as long as it takes to feel secure in stepping out the door. For those who are venturing out into this brave new world, do so smartly. Look at the information in front of you, assess it for yourself and determine what you need to do for you to safely navigate the world. (reading back over that, it feels like that's what we've always done, but our confidence in the general security of the world has taken a huge hit over the past 6 months and it now requires us to be more conscious of the fundamental things we do).
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
Previous