Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Frisch's in Fern Creek

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Frisch's in Fern Creek

by Richard S. » Tue May 19, 2020 12:51 pm

The word going around on the Nextdoor app is that the Frisch's in Fern Creek is closing today with the Fern Valley location closing shortly. Although the coronavirus likely sped things up I'm guessing that they were in trouble well before that; the Hikes Lane location closed months ago. I live less than a mile from the Fern Creek location but if I sat down and made a list of restaurants to visit Frisch's would never occur to me.
no avatar
User

jon.larmee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Frisch's in Fern Creek

by jon.larmee » Tue May 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Richard S. wrote:I live less than a mile from the Fern Creek location but if I sat down and made a list of restaurants to visit Frisch's would never occur to me.

Have to admit the same despite growing up eating it with my grandparents. As I got older it became one of those appease-everyone places that a carload of people could shrug and say, "sure," about. Just like local Steak 'n Shakes before it, Frisch's has that old-school casual dining approach that fast casuals have supplanted.

Even before the pandemic I thought these types of full-service chains were going to start dying off. Their large dining rooms and expansive menus--and the large staff needed to hold it all together--are every bit as risky as they are beneficial. But you can bet that headquarters wouldn't dream of rolling out blueprints to halve either.

In an age of aggressive online reviews, big brands are bigger targets for consumer's to voice their malcontent. Failing to assuage that malcontent makes you a punchline on social media at best and an afterthought at worst.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 am

here's a (rather lengthy) post that I put up a few months back re: the Shelbyville Rd Frisch's. I can't tell you how it hurts to see these places go. They were our "go-to"'s in the '50's/60's
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25534&p=187734#p187734
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 am

They were an easy “go to” when you had kids in tow as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed May 20, 2020 11:28 pm

Dude, that breakfast bar is still a destination eat for us when we get the hankering. We spent a lot of nights hitting the Frisch's drive thru on the way home from Louisville Downs when my dad was racing horses there. Would hate to lose them.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

jon.larmee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm

by jon.larmee » Thu May 21, 2020 9:28 am

Spent some time reading over the Governor's mandates for restaurant re-openings. Among the rules is a requirement that employees have to serve from the salad bar rather than allowing guests to do so themselves.

My first thought was, "damn, Frisch's is about to get a lot fancier."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

PatrickWhelan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Shelby Park

by PatrickWhelan » Thu May 21, 2020 5:28 pm

I do love a Frisch's Big Boy platter on Sundays. Or anytime really. :D
Patrick Whelan
Logan Street Market
Safai Coffee & Tea
900 E. Kentucky St.
Louisville, KY 40204
502-693-3865
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu May 21, 2020 5:39 pm

I noticed the sign in front of the Fern Creek Frisch's said something like "It's been our pleasure serving you." I guessed that meant they were closed as it was between 2-3 pm and the lights were out. The Frisch's at I-65 and Fern Valley was "temporarily" closed for the virus a while back, so I guess they're following the Steak n Shake playbook.

I can't say I'll miss them. I'd hit the breakfast bar maybe twice a year, but otherwise the food was unremarkable. Best I can say is that it was cheap. Steak n Shake had been a train wreck service-wise for years.

Shoney's is still giving it a go at Fern Valley, and it's the only one left in Louisville. I have no idea how they're going to make it considering the big draw was the breakfast buffet. I've heard some Golden Corrals are going to close altogether rather than try to adapt to a new service model, but I don't know what the local GCs are planning on doing. I'd also hate to see a couple Chinese buffets go out because occasionally I just want that ability to browse food rather than order off a menu.

I'd love to see a local take over one of these locations. I keep trying to convince the guy that owns Yummy Pollo to expand a little bit (not too much as that's usually when things go awry, but Carali's seems to be doing okay). Fern Creek just seems to be the place where developments go to die. :(
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu May 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Terri Beam wrote: Fern Creek just seems to be the place where developments go to die. :(

Fern Creek South of the Gene Snyder is doing well. They are actually finally working in earnest on Southpointe Commons and the Panera exterior is fully framed.

All of the restaurants have remained open and its even hard to get food on the weekends without quite a wait. I attribute much of that to the growing population along Bardstown Rd south of Glenmary into Mt Washington. Fern Creek is their closest culinary oasis--Aspen Creek, Sicilian Pizza, Sala Thai, Misawa Japanese, Fiesta Time Amigos, Sea Fresh Seafood, Outback Staekhouse. That is just south of the Snyder in the Glenmary area. There are many more further up such as Sake Blue, Marks Feed Store, etc.
James J. Natsis
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Terri Beam wrote:I keep trying to convince the guy that owns Yummy Pollo to expand a little bit (not too much as that's usually when things go awry, but Carali's seems to be doing okay).

When I worked across the street, I'd see Faisal every week. He knows my name, my wife's name, and my baby's name, and he asks about them every time I make the trip out to pick up a to-go chicken and some chickpeas. If anyone can expand and not sacrifice quality, I'd bet on him. He's one of the legit nicest people in the food scene. Definitely much nicer than Robin! :lol:
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 24, 2020 7:43 am

Ron H wrote:Definitely much nicer than Robin! :lol:

Hell, EVERYONE is nicer than Robin! :lol: :twisted: