Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

White Castle Slider Day to benefit restaurant workers

by Robin Garr » Thu May 14, 2020 12:47 pm

I know, we all make fun of The Aluminum Palace, but I confess to a guilty affection for Sliders, particularly the new Impossible Slider. And this is a generous thing they're doing, converting the usual Slider Day for the pandemic to a fund-raiser for the National Restaurant Association’s Restaurant Employee Relief Fund.

White Castle Will Celebrate National Slider Day by Sponsoring Free Virtual Dance Party to Raise Money for the Restaurant Employee Relief Fund

May 15 National Slider Day Celebration Also Includes Free Original Sliders for All,
Craveable Zoom Backgrounds and #CraveTheGood Social Media Campaign

COLUMBUS, Ohio – White Castle, America’s first fast-food hamburger restaurant, is sponsoring a virtual dance party tomorrow, May 15, and everyone – yes, everyone – is invited to attend.

Every May 15, as part of National Hamburger Month, White Castle honors the burger that made it famous 99 years ago – The Original Slider® – with its own day, National Slider Day, giving every customer a free Slider. White Castle will continue that tradition this year, but in recognition of the huge impact COVID-19 has had on our lives, it’s doing something extra special to celebrate the year’s most craveable holiday.

White Castle will sponsor its first-ever virtual dance party on Friday, May 15, starting at 8 p.m. EST. The party, called “Slider Jam,” headlines White Castle’s National Slider Day celebration, serving as a way to thank its team members for their work during the pandemic and to raise money for the National Restaurant Association’s Restaurant Employee Relief Fund.

Hosted by the DJ duo Dude Skywalker, who are donating their time to the cause, the party will give Cravers and non-Cravers alike an opportunity to live it up for a couple of hours, all from the comfort and safety of their homes, and all for a good cause.

Slider Jam will be viewed on Dude Skywalker’s Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitch. By clicking on the Slider Jam link, party guests will see the DJs and be able to chat with new friends and familiar acquaintances in the comments section.

There is no cost to attend the virtual dance party, but White Castle will encourage donations to the Restaurant Employee Relief Fund, which provides grants to restaurant employees who have been negatively impacted by COVID-19. A donation link will be available on each of the streaming platforms. White Castle hopes to raise $10,000 from the party.

“Normally we celebrate National Slider Day by giving away free Sliders, but these aren’t normal times, so we’re creating something new we think the world is craving,” said Jamie Richardson, vice president of White Castle. “This virtual dance party lets us celebrate and thank our own team members who have worked so hard serving our customers throughout this crisis. It also gives us the chance to support and salute fellow restaurant workers across the country who have experienced hardship because of COVID-19.”

In addition to the virtual dance party, White Castle’s National Slider Day festivities include:

Free Sliders – It wouldn’t be National Slider Day without free Sliders for all at participating White Castle restaurants. White Castle expects to give away tens of thousands of free Sliders throughout the day. No purchase is necessary, and customers can access the digital coupon on White Castle’s website here.

Virtual meeting backgrounds – Your new go-to virtual meeting backgrounds have arrived! Download White Castle’s craveable background images featuring the creative scenes you’ve had a hankering to showcase in your next virtual meeting. A link to download the images will be shared Friday on White Castle’s social media.

#CraveTheGood social campaign – White Castle created this hashtag and online conversation to feed the social media appetite for good news stories about people helping others and doing good things in their communities.

Discounts for frontline workers – From May 15 through June 15, White Castle will offer 20% off all orders made in the restaurants to EMTs, healthcare workers, and grocery store and food retail employees.
“As a family-owned business, White Castle has a heart for hospitality,” Richardson said. “We’re all about creating memorable moments, and we’re looking forward to safely bringing people together for a couple of very special hours of fun and good times.”
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: White Castle Slider Day to benefit restaurant workers

by Steve Eslinger » Thu May 14, 2020 1:52 pm

Wait, what? Aren't they the Porcelain Palace? https://www.dispatch.com/article/20130908/NEWS/309089816 Regardless, I proudly attest to the Craving. Not when I'm in the mood for a hamburger or cheeseburger, though. Nope, it's when I want a slider with the Dusseldorf. I tip my hat to them for their generosity, and I almost forgive them for their support of Boehner for so many years. Then again, Boehner ain't lookin' quite as bad these days...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 14, 2020 3:16 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:with the Dusseldorf.

Yes. I always thought the Dusseldorf was their secret signal of the actual quality hiding under the tiny bun, the onions, and the fast-food facade. That stuff is serious. "Let him that hath understanding count the number of the Dusseldorf."
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm

That sounds worthy of The Bard.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:That sounds worthy of The Bard.

Revelation. The Number of the Beast, in King James English. It's easy to confuse Shakespeare, King James, and Ben Franklin, though. :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 pm

How ironic.
When we were growing up our mother wouldn’t allow us to call WC by any of its (sometimes not so flattering) nicknames. If she caught us she’d shake her finger at us and remind us of the fact that if it weren’t for WC a whole lot of people would have starved during the last Great Depression.
And here we are again.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Fri May 15, 2020 11:15 am

We weren't allowed to have WC when I was growing up. My mom said it was nasty and disgusting. And I admit it did not smell good when we drove past. I didn't have my first White Castle burger until I was in high school, and that's only because juniors put on a Gatsby Fest every year at Seneca HS. Since WC started in the 20's, Seneca would have a ton of them catered in for the juniors that day. I tentatively bit into it, expecting to immediately vomit (given my mom's pure hatred for WC). I was shocked to find it was not disgusting. Nay, it was amazing!
I still wasn't allowed to have any in the house. Several years later my uncle stayed with us for a week while visiting Louisville to house hunt. He swung by the WC drive thru and brought it back to the house to eat. My mother had an absolute fit and demanded that he take it outside to eat.
When I was pregnant with my son 20 years ago I got a BAD craving for the crave. I had WC every day for lunch, including weekends, for two weeks. I feel gross and need a shower just remembering that!!!
Oddly, part of the appeal to me is getting a Big Red to go with it. I went to a WC in Brooklyn a couple years ago and while the food tasted just like it should, I didn't really enjoy it because there was no Big Red.
Now I live in Colorado and we don't have WC out here. Except in the freezer section at the grocery store, and I haven't resorted to that yet.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 am

Nice story Alanna. The Castle is definitely one of those love it or hate it kinda deals; lot's of passion on both sides it seems.
Oh, and as to the frozen sliders: They're actually a little bit better than you might expect. Redolent of onions, as they should be, and the buns soften up fairly well. Just don't over nuke them. Of course, without the Dusseldorf (was never a shortage for me as I would always stuff my pockets with packets when on-site), they definitely aren't the same.

ETA: I've yet to pick up from WC since the lockdown. I admit it's because I've not figured out a way to sterilize all those little boxes. :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 15, 2020 11:30 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:... the Dusseldorf (was never a shortage for me as I would always stuff my pockets with packets when on-site) ...

HA! I don't know why I thought I was the only one who did that! :lol: :lol: :lol:
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri May 15, 2020 12:43 pm

I also have a healthy stash of Skyline hot sauce.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Cruising thru the nearest White Castle at least once on a weekend night, and finishing off any given drunkin night with a bag of belly bombers was de riguer for us South County St. Louis teens back in the day---mag wheels on the car required for coolness!
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri May 15, 2020 2:59 pm

WC has always been one of the most consistently clean chains. From the very beginning they stressed cleanliness.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Carla G wrote:WC has always been one of the most consistently clean chains. From the very beginning they stressed cleanliness.

Indeed, I've always heard that pertains to the fact that their stores are company-owned, not franchised and that cleanliness is a major criteria in a manager's evaluation. It could be hooey, but that's the story.