Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pier 17

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Pier 17

by Richard S. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:26 pm

I see the Pier 17 that took over the old Jason'sDeli spot on Hurstbourne is open for carryout. Haven't yet seen a menu.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Pier 17

by Rich S » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:06 pm

I'm glad to see they finally managed to open. There's a carry-out menu on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pier17restaurantandbar/
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:50 pm

My wife and I ate here on Friday. They have the requisite tables blocked off for social distancing, but otherwise seemed pretty busy.

We had an order of smoked sausage for an appetizer. My wife had a bowl of gumbo and I had an oyster po-boy. They served slices of seafood bread to kick things off (sliced French bread with cheese and what I'm guessing was artificial crab on top).

The smoked sausage was pretty good, although the presentation was slightly odd. It came in a tied-up polystyrene bag, which I assumed is what it was cooked in. A round metal tray came with it as well, for untying the bag and dumping it into the tray. The drawback was that you were left with a greasy bag sitting on the table. The sausage was served with new potatoes (is that term in use around here?) and a piece of corn on the cob. We ordered it with Cajun seasoning, although there were several other flavor options available.

The oyster po-boy was good, although a bit difficult to manage. It was served on a brioche-type bun, which was different. The bun was a bit too small for the sandwich, I thought.

I'll have to admit my wife, who was born and raised in New Orleans, was not a fan of the gumbo. She seemed particularly offended by the fact that it had carrots in it.

We'll go back. Boiled seafood combos seemed to be a centerpiece of the menu, with most featuring crab legs. I have to be in the mood for crab; in most cases it just seems to be too much work for too little payoff.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:12 am

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a few of the issues were just due to awkward presentation. The bagged sausage is certainly an odd way to go. Having a soggy bag about the rest of your meal is not ideal. I've also never heard of carrots in gumbo or oyster po' boys on brioche, so I'm not really sure what to make of either of those. But those food logistical issues aside, it sounds like the food was overall pretty good, so next time we're out that way we'll have to give it a look!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY