Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Burgerim

User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Burgerim

by Ron H » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:25 pm

Burgerim is a pretty noteworthy Israeli hamburger restaurant chain (think Five Kosher Guys) that's more famous for its financial troubles--it's a pyramid scheme disguised as a franchise restaurant--but despite the Great Pandemic handicapping pretty much all businesses, it continues to open, even here in Louisville. Burgerim stepped into the vacant Zoe's Kitchen spot on Frankfort Avenue and, in spite of the pandemic, pressed forward with opening in spite of all of the chaos surrounding the chain and the world in large.

That established, how was Burgerim? Well, like with every Postmates order I've made in the past month, there was stuff missing. (In this case, my wife's soda; I'm 0-5 on recent orders from Postmates for missing stuff.) Not a huge problem, but an annoying way to start off any meal, particularly at a new place. However, all that ill will disappeared when I took my first bite of the dry-aged beef burger. Cooked just north of medium, the burger was juicy and delicious. The barbecue sauce was savory and brown sugary without being too sweet, and the onion ring at the top held up to travel and had crunch like nobody's business, with the onion and breading keeping together admirably.

My wife opted for the burger duo, two larger-sized sliders (3ozs) made in traditional burger style with lettuce, roma tomato, shaved onion, pickles, and house sauce. Again, no complaints, and the side of onion rings we shared stayed crunchy ever after they started to cool off thanks to the panko breading. All in all, if you're in the mood for a burger, it's definitely worth a shot.

A full-sized burger, two sliders, onion rings, and a Coke that never arrived ran $36.45 after a generous $10 tip.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Burgerim

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks for the review, Ron. What with social distancing and all, Zoe's closing and Burgerim opening got by me completely. Sounds great, though! I assume it's not actually kosher, given the near-rare meat and all?

Also ... :shock:
Restaurant Business wrote:THE BURGERIM DISASTER
Burgerim was once one of the hottest, fastest-growing brands in the U.S. Then its founder left the country, leaving behind a wreckage of unpaid workers, bankrupt franchisees and others struggling to make it work.
https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.co ... m-disaster
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks for the review, Ron. What with social distancing and all, Zoe's closing and Burgerim opening got by me completely. Sounds great, though! I assume it's not actually kosher, given the (*oops, edit) less than well-done meat and all?

Also ... :shock:
Burgerim was once one of the hottest, fastest-growing brands in the U.S. Then its founder left the country, leaving behind a wreckage of unpaid workers, bankrupt franchisees and others struggling to make it work.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:58 am

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks for the review, Ron. What with social distancing and all, Zoe's closing and Burgerim opening got by me completely. Sounds great, though! I assume it's not actually kosher, given the near-rare meat and all?

I'd assume not, since their menu is heavy on cheeseburgers! However, the meat they use is halal-certified and one of the LA locations is halal, so I guess it could be ordered to customer dietary requirements. (And it was medium well, not rare, when I got it, so that's probably kosher-ish?)

Yeah, that's... yeah, I read a few of those before I posted. It's pretty... well, I feel bad for whoever bought that franchise and opened it during a pandemic, because I'm afraid they're going to take a cold bath.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:50 am

:( :cry:
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Well, considering the company’s business ethics. it doesn’t sound kosher after all...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 pm

MarieP wrote:Well, considering the company’s business ethics. it doesn’t sound kosher after all...

:(
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:27 pm

It's actually not in the former Zoe's Kitchen spot, but sitting back behind next door to Coals.
no avatar
User

veronica.michel

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:36 pm

by veronica.michel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Thank you for an amazing review and also being really generous during these trying times. Looks like the Postmates delivery person did not pick up the Coca-Cola products and still got the tips but you were being very kind and I can sense this from the tone. Thank you for understanding.
As for the brand, yes, we did open BurgerIM in Louisville the week before the pandemic hit and no one was able to foresee such an impact to the economy. As some may have read, each franchise is independently owned, obviously within certain norms. The corporate had their own mishaps. While their are fixing their act, we are doing everything we can to make it right within Louisville and we have received overwhelming support from the community and are very grateful for that. Ever since this unpredictable event happened, to the entire world in general, we have used several channels and resources to make our presence know and they have all played an amazing part to which we will be always grateful. We are trying to maintain standards and adopt to the new normal while operating for limited hours. We do carry halal beef and chicken, if anyone is interested.
Your support and the community support at large does mean a lot to us and helps us give back to the Louisville service industry in ways we can afford. Thank you!!

We are located in the Vogue promenade between Cooking at the Cottage and Coals pizza.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:51 am

Super cool! Thanks Veronica and welcome to the forum!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 pm

veronica.michel wrote:We are located in the Vogue promenade between Cooking at the Cottage and Coals pizza.

Thank you for correcting the location, I was just going by what showed up when I did a Google Maps search of the address. For obvious reasons, I didn't swing by in person. I definitely have recommended BurgerIM to others since having it.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:11 pm

How is the name pronounced? Burger-im? Burger-eem? Burger-eye-em?
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:14 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:How is the name pronounced? Burger-im? Burger-eem? Burger-eye-em?

Burger-eem if you're saying it properly, and burger-im (like in rim) if you're Americanizing it. It's Hebrew for "many burgers".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Ron H wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's Hebrew for "many burgers".

Not to be pendantic, or anything, but actually, it's Hebrew for "burgers." "-im" is the plural ending for nouns. For "many" you need "rav" or "ravim" for a plural. So in proper Hebrew it would be
המבורגרים רבים
("hamburg'rim ravim" or something like that.

Pedant mode <off>
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Not to be pendantic, or anything, but actually, it's Hebrew for "burgers." "-im" is the plural ending for nouns. For "many" you need "rav" or "ravim" for a plural. So in proper Hebrew it would be
המבורגרים רבים
("hamburg'rim ravim" or something like that.

Pedant mode <off>

I was just stealing the corporate copy. I guess "many burgers" sounds better than "burgers plural"? But I'd definitely eat at a place named "Burgers, Plural!"
Next