Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Velocity reviews apparently resurrected CarlyRae's

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:47 am

Has CarlyRae's reopened at First and Oak? I notice Lisa Hornung raves about it in this week's Velocity, which surprised me since it had closed a few months ago and still looked vacant the last time I was by there.

The phone number listed at the top of the highly positive Velocity review is the old one - it rings through disconnected. But at the <i>bottom</i> of the review it gives a different number (379-4320), which seems to work - it goes through to a taped message that indicates they're open.

Anybody know for sure? Any details? It was a cool place, with forumite Brand McGowan as the beer buy, and I hated to see it go.

[url=http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080130/VELOCITY01/801300393/1065]<B>2 for $30</b>
Spreading the word about one of Louisville's best-kept secrets[/url]

<b>CarlyRae's</b>
103 W. Oak St.
561-3156
http://www.Carlyraes.com
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:56 am

I've had dinner there in the last month.
User

RG/Mobile

{ RANK }

Forum host

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 am

Could be anywhere!

by RG/Mobile » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:01 am

How was it? Was there any discussion about it having been closed and reopened? It's good news, anyway. Thanks, Clay!
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Carly Raes has been open.

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:33 am

they closed for lunch on week days - not close enough to downtown to get the business lunchers. They have stayed open in the evening all along.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:32 am

What Suzi said. They never closed. I was just talking about CR's yesterday to one of the neighborhood leaders, who says they're doing OK and have definite plans to reopen for lunch when the weather is nicer and the patio draws more of a crowd.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Brand is gone however

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:59 am

Brand posted it here somewhere that he was no longer with Carly Raes awhile back.
Last edited by Suzi Bernert on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

by Brand M » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:55 pm

Hey everyone, sorry haven't been in Louisville until recently. Yes, Carly Raes is still open. Good to hear Velocity gave them a positive write up. Always helps the business the next few weeks .

People have asked me lately "why I left Carly Raes" ?.I left in Sept-Oct. because of creative differences, I guess you could say. The GM was trying to turn Fri. and Sat. into a club /DJ cover charge party.Huge mistake because he was trying to make up for the restaurant side and he was under the gun ,so to speak..That's not what I had signed on for and that's not what I wanted for Carly Raes bar.There are hundreds of soulless clubs in Louisville .I was trying to make Carly Rae's something different,a niche.Ryan and I built their bar from the group up,literally.We had a great regular base,steady business,and great things going on. Bad decisions almost put Carly Raes under. It was a sad day for me when I left there,I truly loved it there and the people that I came to be friends with.

Good news though! I hear they are moving back towards the direction that everyone loved it so much. Neighborhood bar/restaurant that knows your name without being obtrusive, place to go to wind down and feel comfortable.Keep on going!

On a side note, Lee Warren the owner was an excellent owner for the most part. And apologies for the long narrative.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Brand McGowan wrote:Hey everyone, sorry haven't been in Louisville until recently. Yes, Carly Raes is still open. Good to hear Velocity gave them a positive write up. Always helps the business the next few weeks .

People have asked me lately "why I left Carly Raes" ?.I left in Sept-Oct. because of creative differences, I guess you could say. The GM was trying to turn Fri. and Sat. into a club /DJ cover charge party.Huge mistake because he was trying to make up for the restaurant side and he was under the gun ,so to speak..That's not what I had signed on for and that's not what I wanted for Carly Raes bar.There are hundreds of soulless clubs in Louisville .I was trying to make Carly Rae's something different,a niche.Ryan and I built their bar from the group up,literally.We had a great regular base,steady business,and great things going on. Bad decisions almost put Carly Raes under. It was a sad day for me when I left there,I truly loved it there and the people that I came to be friends with.

Good news though! I hear they are moving back towards the direction that everyone loved it so much. Neighborhood bar/restaurant that knows your name without being obtrusive, place to go to wind down and feel comfortable.Keep on going!

On a side note, Lee Warren the owner was an excellent owner for the most part. And apologies for the long narrative.
Hi Brand- Where are you now?? (love the Lebowski avatar by the way)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:39 pm

The food was tasty as always. Incidentally, they have easily one of the best hot browns in town. It's one of my favorite "screw the diet" meals. I can't wait for nice weather-their patio is my favorite in the city, especially on half price wine Friday nights.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Brand McGowan wrote:Hey everyone, sorry haven't been in Louisville until recently. Yes, Carly Raes is still open. Good to hear Velocity gave them a positive write up. Always helps the business the next few weeks .

Thanks for the update, Brand.

Do you know if it underwent some kind of significant management or ownership change? I'm almost certain it was reported here as closed, and I can't help but notice that the originally listed telephone number has been disconnected and they have a new one.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:07 pm

Only thread that comes up with a search is the closure for lunch:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/hot ... carly+raes
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Charles W. wrote:Only thread that comes up with a search is the closure for lunch:

Thanks, Charles. Maybe I saw it somewhere else, but the news of its closing certainly seems to match up with the abrupt phone-number change. No big deal ... I'm glad they're open.
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

by Brand M » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Oops, I opened my mouth to wide . That probably wasn't called for but has been weighing on my mind.

David , I haven't landed anywhere yet.I have been in and out of louisville for the past few months.Visited some friends in Wisconsin , Washington State, Tennesee, and even Alabama. Back in Louisville for good and actually looking for the next opportunity.Jan. and Feb. isn't the best time to be looking for a service industry job , though :).

Robin, yes they have gone through managerial changes. Stephanie is now the acting General Manager. around November- December I hear they fell on hard times.One of the owners dropped out and there were concerns from the other two. I also heard they were going to be closed by christmas. Apparently one of the owners Lee Warren picked up the slack and decided not to close down. I hear business has picked up again and their head is above water . So I hope they keep it moving and going in the same direction! So what you heard Robin was true .
no avatar
User

James Wise

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:11 am

Louisville KY

Carlie Ray's

by James Wise » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:16 pm

Hey, I went there for the first time last night to watch the Super Bowl. Awsome setup. The library area with the overstuffed leather couches was the perfect setting. I will be back and am recommending it to everyone.