Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: The new normal going forward

by James Natsis » Wed May 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Good luck. Ronnie. I'm sure others like myself are anxious for your first week report. We are counting on people like you to blaze the path forward
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 06, 2020 7:06 pm

Second James' motion. May the force be with you, Ronnie.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat May 09, 2020 5:36 pm

Ordering from Dragon King's Daughter tonight, I saw a post from them saying that they will not open 5/22, continuing carryout operations until they feel that conditions are safer. It will be interesting to see who opens and does not for that reason, along with the 33% capacity limits.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat May 09, 2020 9:47 pm

SilvioM wrote:Ordering from Dragon King's Daughter tonight, I saw a post from them saying that they will not open 5/22, continuing carryout operations until they feel that conditions are safer. It will be interesting to see who opens and does not for that reason, along with the 33% capacity limits.

I think places that have ample outdoor seating will have an easier go at it. Others that try to sustain their current takeout/delivery system may find that once more places begin opening, the takeout volume may gradually diminish.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sun May 10, 2020 11:40 am

I agree, though as long as the 33% cap is in place, those with successful carryout operations will probably use a hybrid model in the short term. There are a few articles in the CJ that interview multiple owners about their experiences with carryout that are worth a read, but I'll link to one that reveals what several different places will be doing on 5/11 and forward. The multiple approaches (and whys) are explained, all worth respecting. It's also worth a read just for the last paragraph.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2020/05/08/coronavirus-kentucky-restaurant-owners-mixed-reopening/3095562001/
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sun May 10, 2020 1:38 pm

The C-J article does a good job of summing up the different realities, needs and approaches.

Several quick thoughts:

1. Large tips. I have been giving extra large tips like most of us. However, that will diminish (at least for me anyway) as business picks up to what is a more seemingly normal volume.

2. If I understand correctly, it is 33% indoors and as spacing allows outdoors. Places with a lot of space outdoors a la Mike Linnig's, Captains Quarters, etc. will be closer to full capacity,

3. It has been expressed in this forum, and I've heard it anecdotally from others: People were willing to get carry outs from places as a show of support during this period that they would not normally do otherwise. Some of the finer cuisine restaurants and steakhouses are designed for dining on the spot. I don't want to pay that type of money to have my food delivered or I pick it up to eat it at home transferring it, reheating it, and washing the dishes. Not as romantic, relaxing, nor the same quality of fresh out of the kitchen.

4. Finally, many people want to drink a beer or other such beverage in a place with other people around and some ambiance (perhaps even a sporting event?). I very rarely drink alone in the house but enjoy a beer or a glass of wine when I eat out.

Bottom line---I just want to go out and sit in a friggin restaurant, enjoy having someone serve me, look at and even talk to other people, soak up the ambiance, and relish my food right there at the moment. That is why I like restaurants and this forum. Its not just the food, its the entire experience.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun May 10, 2020 5:38 pm

I want to eat inside at a restaurant again. But my primary concern with regard to exposure is less the physical distancing per se so much as being exposed to the air conditioning recirculating all the air in a confined space. I am probably not going to sit and enjoy a meal inside anywhere until transmission of the pathogen and effects of the disease are much better understood and, ideally, a vaccine is available. Just reading this week about the potential implications for male infertility or susceptibility to tuberculosis was all pretty sobering.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sun May 10, 2020 5:54 pm

James Natsis wrote:That is why I like restaurants and this forum. Its not just the food, its the entire experience.

I agree with most of your sentiments, but the line above reminded me of Edward Lee's quote in the article, and why he isn't opening right away: "We don't want our loyal customers to come back and have an experience that's so different it doesn't look like a restaurant anymore." When will we get "the entire experience"? We will see. One of the owners (Fat Lamb?) mentioned a poll he did on Facebook and he found a majority of his regulars will stay away in the short term (perhaps just as well since capacity will be limited).

Another factor not mentioned in these articles is that something like a third of Kentuckians filed for unemployment, so they aren't going to have the money to spend in the short term. Once they are hopefully working again, catching up on their bills will be a priority, so who knows when dining out will return to previous levels.

And regarding tipping: Since I'm getting paid at work and getting stimulus money, I've set some of that aside for tipping one it all returns. I've tipped well for carryout, but that isn't necessarily going to the many servers who are out of work. I want to be able to support them once they are back on the job.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sun May 10, 2020 7:14 pm

I'll add that I did go to a "high end" place last night, Seviche. The food was great, but eating it out of a box for that price isn't the same experience as eating there. Mr. Lamas was one of those quoted in the article stating that he was eager to reopen or 5/22, even at limited capacity.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun May 10, 2020 8:15 pm

SilvioM wrote:I'll add that I did go to a "high end" place last night, Seviche. The food was great, but eating it out of a box for that price isn't the same experience as eating there. Mr. Lamas was one of those quoted in the article stating that he was eager to reopen or 5/22, even at limited capacity.

The weather lately has been really good for eating outside, and the sun sets so late. Ideal for takeout picnics.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon May 11, 2020 2:54 pm

What a great idea! This type of thinking is the way we'll get things back on their feet--plus, it sounds kind of fun!

Parking lots can be used as dining areas in Jeffersontown, according to an Executive Order.

Jeffersontown mayor Bill Dieruf announced plans to sign a temporary Executive Order to assist with restaurant capacity once the businesses are able to reopen on May 22.

Under Gov. Andy Beshear’s order, restaurants can reopen at 33 percent capacity indoors, but can seat at 100 percent capacity outdoors.

Dieruf’s order states restaurants can utilize a portion of parking areas and all other open spaces for outdoor dining. The order states restaurants can use canopies without walls to allow for airflow.

https://www.wave3.com/2020/05/11/parkin ... ersontown/
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon May 11, 2020 3:19 pm

This is what a Canton OH restaurant did . . . they hung clear plastic shower curtains between each table providing a barrier, and kept tables at "normal" distance apart! After each party is done, they go in (with masks et al) and spray the curtains with Lysol spray mixed with Covid-19 specific spray!

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20200507 ... ZsjExgQyDU
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Tue May 12, 2020 8:36 pm

Another permanent closing. Never went there, sorry I didn't get to try it.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/dining/restaurant/2020/05/12/lolas-kitchen-louisvilles-only-filipino-restaurant-closes/3120675001/

Edit: Saw on the news tonight the same news about another Frankfort Ave. place, North End Cafe. Their problems, however, are not entirely related to Covid-19.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 am

I want to eat a great dinner in a nice restaurant as much as anybody, but I’ve seen too many healthcare workers coming home from work, sitting in their cars and crying before entering their home. I’m not anxious to die alone in a hospital bed with no family members around me to say goodbye. I really don’t want my last hour to be struggling for breath with a tube down my throat.
There aren’t enough oysters on the half shell or mojitos to make that worthwhile. From what I’ve seen people aren’t taking this seriously enough now, much less when guidelines slacken.
I’ll be sitting this out a bit longer.
I wish the restaurants well that do venture out. I don’t want to see anyone go out of business or lose their lively hood but I don’t want to see people die either. The industry will change and adapt like all businesses have in the past.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 am

Doesn't look like Ostra is going to make it.

From Facebook.

We are sad to say OSTRA will be unable to continue to serve the Louisville community without significant investment. If you find yourself interested in owning a restaurant for a very low price or perhaps you would like to purchase some furniture or equipment, please email us at info@ostralouisville.com we will continue our catering arm via @chefburress
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
PreviousNext