Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Interesting involvement of chefs in Trump's plan...

by Joni L » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:08 am

Hi team Kentucky! :)

Did anyone notice the very interesting choices for Trump's "Great American Economic Revival" plan? The list includes major chain restaurant/beverage leaders which I would expect, but then an interesting list of individual, heavy-hitter chefs: Wolfgang Puck, Thomas Keller, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, and Daniel Boulud. Wolfgang is the only "commercial" chef, in my opinion. I just thought it was a very interesting list. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... ry-groups/

Stay safe!
no avatar
User

jon.larmee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Interesting involvement of chefs in Trump's plan...

by jon.larmee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:21 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what's your standard for "commercial?" Perusing their websites, the smallest group is 19 restaurants.

I'd guess that there's a hotel or resort connection or two among them, but he's just as likely calling out recognizable (and less controversial) names.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:10 pm

There was a passing comment this morning on MSNBC (sorry - under Trump those are my politics) that regarding the business economic group that was being convened, several business CEO's were called by various media for comments, and for around half of the businesses the media phone call was their first notice that they were supposedly in the group!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:15 pm

It's also interesting that among the well-known chefs in the country are a number that are extremely active in feeding first responders, unemployed workers, et al (including our own Edward Lee), but not unexpectedly none of them made the list! Not even Guy Fieri or Rachel Ray, both of whom have raised millions for workers thru advertising and recent corporate partnerships (Guy gets a pass from me for 3 months - no negative comments!).
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:32 pm

It's hard not to get political here, but at a glance, those four are all celebrity chefs with New York restaurant presences. I think it's likely that Trump got the celebrity glad-hand treatment from them over the years and thinks that they like him. :twisted: