Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Statement in support of restaurants during Covid-19

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:08 pm

“Grace and Operating with a Spirit of Generosity: Perhaps it is because we are weeks into this crisis and people are beginning to really feel the financial, emotional and social impacts of COVID-19, but I am beginning to sense something that we need to agree we will stop - together.

I am beginning to see social media posts calling out restaurants that don’t answer the phone by the 2nd ring, that struggle to keep the speed up in their drive-thru lanes, restaurants that can’t get out to deliver curbside fast enough, and people calling out restaurants who post a limited menu for the day and it doesn’t have their “favorite item." This needs to stop now. Our community is suffering the greatest tragedy of its history. We are operating with skeleton staff, limited supply chains, new guidelines and requirements on services provided, employees that are fearful for their own health and that of their families, and antiquated technology. Wrapped around all of this is a deep sense of fear and a killer instinct for survival.

Each day WE need to promote the resiliency, flexibility, strength, and ingenuity of every single person brave enough to operate under these conditions today. Our people have been gut punched, yet try to deliver a pleasant experience each and every day. We need to feel confident taking on those that show no mercy and expect perfection as if it were January 1st. We also need to show grace and operate with a spirit of generosity when WE purchase meals or interact with employees across the sector.

If there was ever a time to avoid complaining that your order took an extra five-ten minutes, or that they forgot the extra ketchup for your fries, that time is now. I promise you, there are much bigger problems in the world today. And frankly, being able to go to Dunkin each morning and get my iced coffee and see Sarah bravely serving a line of customers in the drive thru is something I need to propel me forward. Too much ice, too little, long wait or short, I am just grateful she is there and can provide me some sense of normal.

Please be kind and show grace, call out those that are not, and together we will get through this. Enjoy the weekend, stay safe and know that we are here!”

Emily
eknight@txrestaurant.org
President and CEO, Texas Restaurant Association
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Statement in support of restaurants during Covid-19

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Excellent statement, Andrew. Thanks for sharing it.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:09 am

All my takeout experiences have been great. Shout out to Chik'n & Mi, River House, Coals, Royals, and Los Aztecas.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

jon.larmee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm

by jon.larmee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:14 am

Luckily there's not been a whole lot of this locally (and I prowl social media daily for the sake of our list). The one notable exception was a complaint about a forgotten side of green beans that garnered nearly 200 responses within an hour.

I always wonder about the effectiveness of things like this. People that are inherently wound up in being purposely shorted/not treated like royalty never seem to understand they're part of the problem unless they're looked square in the eye and told. That's tricky in a service setting of course because as much as you want to respond to "you'll never see me again" with a hearty "AMEN!", you know it could be to your own detriment when they run to Google Reviews and Yelp and Facebook and so on.

Who knows. Maybe kinder customers will be one of the culture changes all these op-eds keep talking about. I won't be holding my breath though. Just biting my tongue.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:40 am

The other day on the "who is open for carryout or delivery in Louisville" Facebook page a customer complained that she called in an order of chicken fried rice to her favorite Chinese restaurant, went right over, and was told it would be 20 minutes. She complained bitterly, and said she'd never patronize them again, as after all what takes so long for just chicken fried rice!

There were (at that point) around 15 replies, the majority of which were either agreeing with her or asking for the name of the restaurant so they could avoid it also.

I wrote (which I rarely do there), said that "only" chicken fried rice still needed a wok and chef, that there likely were many calls ahead of her, and that the restaurant probably was operating with fewer chefs than normal, so just over 20 minutes sounded fine to me. I guess I shamed her and others, as when I checked back a few hours later there were 60 responses, most agreeing with me.

Right after that I saw the Texas letter, and it was just so appropriate I copied it, had a computer problem over the weekend, but this week put it up on this forum (too long for the Facebook group).
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:46 pm

She's my counterpart in Texas - she's outstanding!
Stacy Roof
no avatar
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:45 am

We've been getting one takeout meal most days. Every restaurant has been great. Some aren't answering the phone right away, but go there and they'll take good care of you.

Shout out to Bristol, Ramsi, Highland Morning, Stevens, Cafe, Fish House, Checks, to name but a few regular spots close to our home. They're all doing a terrific job.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Another shout-out to our local restaurants for taking great care of us. We've been ordering no-contact delivery A LOT, as well as the occasional pick-up, too many to list to be honest. I will call out one place for being a great value, and super easy to do pick up: Cozy Kitchen on Bardstown. No-nonsense comfort food that is well-executed (skip the green beans though). Perfect to pick up several meals at once.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:18 am

FABD and Hooked on Frankfort last night. First time trying Hooked and those fried shimp are damn tasty.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:27 am

JustinHammond wrote:FABD and Hooked on Frankfort last night. First time trying Hooked and those fried shimp are damn tasty.

Try the clams, if you like clams. Out of this world; as good or better than anything I've had in the Boston area.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:40 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:FABD and Hooked on Frankfort last night. First time trying Hooked and those fried shimp are damn tasty.

Try the clams, if you like clams. Out of this world; as good or better than anything I've had in the Boston area.

Whole Belly?

no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Nah, I've never seen those outside of New England. To be honest, I was never much of a belly guy. My father-in-law loved them though.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:The other day on the "who is open for carryout or delivery in Louisville" Facebook page a customer complained that she called in an order of chicken fried rice to her favorite Chinese restaurant, went right over, and was told it would be 20 minutes. She complained bitterly, and said she'd never patronize them again, as after all what takes so long for just chicken fried rice!
There were (at that point) around 15 replies..

Yeah, it does sound trivial but we don’t know what stresses she’s going through either do we? Does she or maybe her only child work the front lines in health care? Is she a recovering addict that is missing her support group and are left battling her own monsters alone? Maybe she’s got a parent in a nursing home or perhaps she’s already lost someone. Everyone is strung tight right now and a bunch are just downright scared. The new normal, I hope, will be compassion laid upon more compassion.

I’ll share this-
As I was picking up groceries (I’m out in the boonies where no one delivers), I saw someone stop a clerk that was stocking shelves and ask for a product. They kept a good distance from them. Afterwards they turned and sincerely thanked the clerk for working, where upon several others also stopped to say thank you to the young man. Before long others were pushing carts past him all saying thanks. Then someone from another aisle piped up, “And if anyone within ear shot works in a hospital you’ve got our thanks too. “
Maybe we’re changing already.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:22 pm

"Maybe we’re changing already."

I hope you are right, and this is the new normal, but then I read tweets about 'going back to work now while honoring the 2nd Amendment' and my optimism diminishes....
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:"Maybe we’re changing already."

I hope you are right, and this is the new normal, but then I read tweets about 'going back to work now while honoring the 2nd Amendment' and my optimism diminishes....

Andrew, I'm not sure where you're coming from with that. I'm not sure why honoring the 2nd Amendment diminishes your optimism? It's one of the founding amendments in our Constitution and everybody in America is bound by the Constitution whether they like it or not!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Next