Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Statement in support of restaurants during Covid-19

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:02 pm

I have NOTHING against the 2nd Amendment. When I read a tweet conflating "ignore quarantine orders and go back to work" with " remember and honor your second Amendment" it sounds to me as if the tweet author is promoting people using those guns during this pandemic. Why else would the second amendment reference have been included in a "go back to work" tweet? I'd have thought those were two separate issues!

That's why it worried me, and made me wonder if people were really moving toward a kinder, gentler world.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Here's the tweet I was referencing; it was sent to each of the key states with "go back to work" protests, in this case Virginia (tho identical tweet sent to Michigan and other states), and was posted immediately following protest marches referencing the groups protesting:

"LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!"

The marchers carried signs saying quarantines and isolation orders should end, and I could not find a single marcher in any state with 2nd Amendment protests. Why did the tweet include that? Makes me fear that the writer was not looking for a way to bring us together.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:33 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Makes me fear that the writer was not looking for a way to bring us together.

I believe that is an entirely justified fear, Andrew.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:28 pm

I hear you Andrew and I share the same sometimes optimistic, sometimes lingering disappointment.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:31 pm

As an added note I remember when a bunch of the undoubtedly same people started crying about their civil rights before the smoking ban. Many foretold the death of the bar and restaurant business if smoking restrictions were passed. Restrictions WERE passed, sanity prevailed, social businesses like restaurants flourished and we were all breathing easier . Well, until now. As long as I see protesters that want these new restrictions lifted, wearing face masks and gloves (as many have) then I know THEY KNOW BETTER.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous