Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

New Peruvian Restaurant

no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

New Peruvian Restaurant

by Jenny H » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:57 am

I heard that a new Peruvian restaurant is opening up around the end of the month. I think it is supposed to be near Taylorsville Rd and Hurstbourne Lane behind the Mongolian BBQ place. Has anyone else heard of it? I think it is to be called Peruvian Cafe. My step-dad has done some work for the owner so that is how I heard of it. It is supposed to be really authentic.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New Peruvian Restaurant

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:42 am

Jenny H wrote:I heard that a new Peruvian restaurant is opening up around the end of the month. I think it is supposed to be near Taylorsville Rd and Hurstbourne Lane behind the Mongolian BBQ place. Has anyone else heard of it? I think it is to be called Peruvian Cafe. My step-dad has done some work for the owner so that is how I heard of it. It is supposed to be really authentic.

I believe this is the family that had a Peruvian food booth at WorldFest on the Belvedere last year. At tht time, they were "thinking about" opening a restaurant in the East End.

I'd love to give it a try ... I've been to Peru a couple of times, and my brother lives there, so I'm fairly familiar with the cuisine. It's not all that unusual or challenging - along with Ecuador and Mexico it lays claim to having invented seviche - but typically fresh, clean flavors, some of them spicy but not as hot overall as, say, Mexican. One treat, anticuchos, might or might not make it in the Derby City - it's marinated and grilled beef heart. ;)
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

New Restaurant

by David Lange » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:21 am

The name of the rstaurant is Cafe Perusa and it plans to be open around February 23rd. It should be a great addition to that area of Louisville.
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Wow! What an awesome addition to our ethnic fair in this town! I've never experienced Peruvian food, so I'm excited. I have to share - my husband said, "I hope it doesn't cost a Brazillian dollars!" (sorry. and I have to live with him!)
no avatar
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Having lived in Peru I can vouch that the cuisine there is wonderful - and I have to personally say, better than Ecuador (where I've also lived). I love Peruvian style ceviche over most others and I would love to have anticuchos de corazon - those lovely grilled beef hearts as Robin mentioned.

Before Mama Rosa's closed on Breckenridge Ln, the owner there was Peruvian and he would prepare homeland dishes with a reservation. It was good, but if you want the anticuchos to taste as wonderful as they do down south, I think you must use grass fed beef - the taste just wasn't quite the same.

Fingers crossed it's actually going to happen.
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:36 am

I have a incaling that it would be a great place. 8)

(I can beat that brazillion pun, :D )
Have you hugged your penguin today?