Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chinese Places Closing

no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Chinese Places Closing

by RonnieD » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:58 am

Twice now I have seen notices on the doors of closed Chinese restaurants (in two different towns) that they have closed because their distributors have refused to deliver food to them. I know for a fact that most broadline distributors are still functional and most are dying for business as they have seen a 60% drop in sales volume. So I am wondering why this is happening specifically to Chinese restaurants. I have a dark suspicion that I hope is incorrect, so if anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chinese Places Closing

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:25 pm

As a single data point, as far as I know, Jasmine Express in Holiday Manor is open and serving curbside/takeout.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 pm

I was getting Chinese carryout early on then discovered almost overnight that the three restaurants near our house were closed. When I ventured further out--same thing.

I have my suspicions yet hesitated to post something here. It can't be a coincidence, especially taking into account that they mainly do carry out.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Following up to your post Robin, Jasmine itself is also still open.

We have also running to the fact that most of the Chinese restaurants we like are also closed. As stated by PPs it seems strange since most of their business is takeout/delivery anyway.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Double Dragon on Goss was open last week, for what it’s worth.
no avatar
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:14 pm

The elephant in this room apparently dares not speak its name.

But since Glorious Leader has insisted on calling this pandemic "the Chinese virus," there have been numerous racist actions against Asian-Americans nationally.

There are many reasons why restaurants of all kinds have closed, but this sure smells like racism to me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 pm

I don't disagree, Jimmy. The minute I heard that phrase jump out of Dear Leader's mouth, the dog whistle was too piercing to mistake.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 am

I was very surprised to find that Asian Wok on Frankfort Ave was closed on Friday when we tried to order dinner. Maybe naive on my part, but I thought a place that was mostly delivery to begin with and had been busy in previous weeks would be in a better position to make it through this than other places. That is heart breaking if it's a supply issue for Asian restaurants?!?!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:11 am

Food and Dining has a story today noting that fewer than 10 Chinese restaurants in the Louisville area are still open, out of more than 70. By comparison, the F&D database shows 4 of 14 Indian restaurants are still open, 8 of 12 Vietnamese restaurants, and 35 of roughly 125 Mexican restaurants.

https://foodanddine.com/your-szechuan-n ... -jasmines/
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:27 pm

I was under the impression from a few different articles that most of the Americanized Chinese restaurants got their supplies from the same wholesaler, which was a Chinese-owned company. Hence how they all have basically the same menu and most of it is prepared the same (and why most of the workers come from Fujian province). I could be mistaken as it's been several years.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:38 am

Ron H wrote:I was under the impression from a few different articles that most of the Americanized Chinese restaurants got their supplies from the same wholesaler, which was a Chinese-owned company. Hence how they all have basically the same menu and most of it is prepared the same (and why most of the workers come from Fujian province). I could be mistaken as it's been several years.

I can confirm from talking with other restaurants that it is most likely a supply chain problem. Vietnamese restaurant owners I know were having problems sourcing ingredients and even packaging as far back as February from Asian importers and distributors.
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:I can confirm from talking with other restaurants that it is most likely a supply chain problem. Vietnamese restaurant owners I know were having problems sourcing ingredients and even packaging as far back as February from Asian importers and distributors.

It seems too widespread to be something attributed solely to racism, because I tried to order food from, of all places, Outback Steakhouse (I know, don't judge me), and they were out of pretty much everything I tried to order (prime rib, understandable, and a sirloin steak salad, not as understandable).

That would explain why I couldn't find a full-sized bag of rice the last time I went shopping, too.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Yeah, the supply chain argument makes some sense as a better than racist explanation for this. I hope that truly is it. That being said, I wonder if other broad lines like GFS or Sysco are reaching out to these establishments in an attempt to supply them while this is all going on. Wouldn't it be in everyone's interests to keep these places open?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:33 pm

I get plenty of orders for Thai & Pho restaurants where I live. But other than Panda Express (lol) haven't had any Chinese orders in...wow, close to two months.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:45 am

I picked up a carryout order from Sala Thai in Fern Creek the other day and the young lady behind the counter told me they were having difficulty getting the food products they need.
Next