Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

HotBytes: Guess who's driving your dinner

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:15 am

Guess who's driving your dinner

Fast Delivery

Times are tough for us all as we live through the worst pandemic in living memory, and the restaurant business is being hit hard.

Some of our favorite local eateries are closed, and their servers, kitchen staff, chefs and owners have been scrambling for alternative sources of income.

Many more restaurants are staying open for carryout and delivery. They're hanging on to at least part of their staff, to cook the meals we love and hustle them out to a line of hungry diners waiting in our cars at the curb.

But how about the good folks who get our hot dinner the last mile to our houses?<!--more-->

I’m talking about the workers who drive the delivery runs, working for the individual restaurant or for GrubHub, Uber Eats, DoorDash, and the other new companies that had already sprung up to make delivery easy.

Let’s get into the passenger seat – virtually, of course – and ride along with a couple of these drivers as they hustle through the evening and into the night to bring us our food, safe and sanitary and without getting closer to us than six feet.

Read the full commentary on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/driving-dinner
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: HotBytes: Guess who's driving your dinner

by Richard S. » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm seeing some McDonald's locations have moved to a limited menu and are providing curbside pickup as a way for delivery drivers to avoid the drive-thru line, so Robin, the company must have read your article.

Sorry, Robin I missed your message about the recipient side of things, but I'd say about half the deliveries I make are to people who wanted me to leave it on the porch and text them once I've done so. When this first ramped up I saw quite a few $20 tips from people just grateful to be able to get food. I figured that would subside as this went on, and it has. Tipping seems to have worked out in much the same way as it does for servers: some people tip big, some tip small, and some don't tip at all. It all works out in the end.

This doesn't really relate to customers as it does to people on the road, but I'm seeing two camps develop. There are those who are smile, wave and let you in traffic, and there are those who blow through red lights just because they can. There are more nice people out there than jerks, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: HotBytes: Guess who's driving your dinner

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks, Richard. Good thoughts on all humankind. ;)