Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

brian s

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Louisville KY

Time Magazine: Flipping for Burgers

by brian s » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:47 am

In light of the recent discussions about burger toppings, I thought this link to an article in time magazine would be appropriate:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 70,00.html

Intro 2 paragraph tease:

I've eaten more hamburgers than any other food, and I still don't get it. It's a hot ground-beef sandwich--and ground beef just isn't all that great. There isn't a meat loaf restaurant every two blocks. The world hasn't embraced fast-food meatball chains. Yet people crave hamburgers. And many of the nation's top chefs are devoting themselves to cooking them.
RELATED ARTICLES

Fast Food Speeds up the Pace
Four-year-old Kevin White of Richmond, Calif., is enjoying that all-American event, a birthday party...
The World’s Best Hamburger Is in Egypt
Having spent a lot of my journalistic life in Cairo, I’m fond of Egyptian food. The garlic-spiced ma...
To Be the Real Top Chef
You could call it the World Cup of cooking. Every two years, chefs from Africa, Asia, Australia, E...
The Night Chicago Ruled the (Foodie) World
Chefs gather for Charlie Trotter’s 20th anniversary dinner celebration.(From lef...

It became cool for famous chefs to make burgers in 2001, when Daniel Boulud, James Beard Outstanding Chef of the Year, opened his casual DB Bistro Moderne and sold a $27 hamburger: ground sirloin stuffed with braised short ribs, foie gras and truffles. As much as I love Boulud's cooking, I found it disgusting--a gooey mess of indistinguishable, nauseating fat. I was, once again, alone: it now accounts for 30% of the bistro's food sales. This year, Boulud, Bobby Flay (New York City's Mesa Grill) and Thomas Keller (French Laundry in Napa Valley, Calif.) are opening burger joints. Eric Ripert (New York's Le Bernardin) has put a burger on the menu of his new Washington restaurant, and Hubert Keller (San Francisco's Fleur de Lys) has opened a second Burger Bar in St. Louis, Mo.; he already sells 1,400 burgers each weekend night in Las Vegas.