Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Covid-19: Impact on local restaurants?

by SilvioM » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 pm

Passed around a dozen places on a walk last night, all had a fair share of patrons. There may have been a dropoff, but not by a lot. (Though I did see a fish fry that was canceled.) I would think that bars, where people are in closer proximity to each other, might be more seriously affected. I think it's okay now, but where things might be in a week or two, who knows.

One thing I heard from a friend of a friend who works at Gogi is that they had a big dropoff in business and that, along with Ramen House closing, makes me wonder if there is an unfortunate Asian bias at play. Not sure, but I hope not. While I'm certainly not headed to any buffets in the near term, it's completely irrational to avoid any particular type of cuisine. But, these are not rational times.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:09 pm

I just read on CNN that France is closing down all restaurants, cafés, cinemas and clubs! So far there was no word on how long they will be closed.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:35 pm

SilvioM wrote:Passed around a dozen places on a walk last night, all had a fair share of patrons. There may have been a dropoff, but not by a lot. (Though I did see a fish fry that was canceled.) I would think that bars, where people are in closer proximity to each other, might be more seriously affected. I think it's okay now, but where things might be in a week or two, who knows.

One thing I heard from a friend of a friend who works at Gogi is that they had a big dropoff in business and that, along with Ramen House closing, makes me wonder if there is an unfortunate Asian bias at play. Not sure, but I hope not. While I'm certainly not headed to any buffets in the near term, it's completely irrational to avoid any particular type of cuisine. But, these are not rational times.

Yeah, it does feel like that asymptomatic lag time is really giving people a false sense of security.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/14/heal ... index.html?

Spain is going into lockdown tomorrow. Hard not to feel like we’ll be there too in a week or two.

Edit: now the governor of Pennsylvania has ordered all bars to close and all restaurants to end dine-in service in the 4 counties around Philadelphia.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... 00314.html?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pm

:(
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:36 pm

The governor can "compel" all he wants, but unless he's going to provide some $$$ to cover employee salaries and overhead costs, you can't ask businesses and their employees to just take a few weeks off. It's just not reality. Not everyone has a meaningless 9-5 office job they can abandon without consequence for a month and a fat savings account to keep the lights on while they do so. I doubt LG&E will accept my condolence letter in lieu of payment for March's electric bill...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:28 pm

RonnieD wrote:The governor can "compel" all he wants, but unless he's going to provide some $$$ to cover employee salaries and overhead costs, you can't ask businesses and their employees to just take a few weeks off. It's just not reality. Not everyone has a meaningless 9-5 office job they can abandon without consequence for a month and a fat savings account to keep the lights on while they do so. I doubt LG&E will accept my condolence letter in lieu of payment for March's electric bill...

Well presumably that will be between the business and the health department. I’m not sure how enforcement is working in Pennsylvania.

But the horrible economic fallout of these health measures is why you’re seeing mortgage moratoriums in places like Italy, and the two-week emergency paid leave for all under-500-employee businesses bill that passed the House on Friday night, and which Trump has supported. Pelosi has already said to expect a third coronavirus economic response bill next week, so the bill that Trump will presumably sign Tuesday is hardly the end of the federal legislative response. Pressure for more extensive economic support to people and businesses is only going to increase as the severity and duration of the crisis become clearer to the public, in my opinion.

Edit: Ohio closes all bars, restricts all restaurants to carry-out/delivery only.

https://www.10tv.com/article/gov-dewine ... s-2020-mar
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:19 pm

RonnieD wrote:The governor can "compel" all he wants, but unless he's going to provide some $$$ to cover employee salaries and overhead costs, you can't ask businesses and their employees to just take a few weeks off. It's just not reality. Not everyone has a meaningless 9-5 office job they can abandon without consequence for a month and a fat savings account to keep the lights on while they do so. I doubt LG&E will accept my condolence letter in lieu of payment for March's electric bill...

Actually, in most states it's part of "emergency powers" under the various Executive branches. Announcing a state of emergency opens money available to deal with the emergency, and allows the governor additional emergency powers.

I'm not saying it's right or even practical, but in most states it is legal.

(I won't comment on your belief that all 9-5 office jobs are meaningless, or can just be abandoned without consequence, other than to say you want said workers - your customers - to appreciate your circumstances, then you at least should show a minimum appreciation for theirs)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Nashville beginning to shut things down, too:

https://www.scoopnashville.com/2020/03/ ... apacities/

Nashville Mayor John Cooper will ask that all bars on lower Broadway, and across the city, to close until further notice, and restaurants to operate at half-capacity

If I ran a bar or restaurant in Kentucky, I would be preparing to shut down next week, planning with the expectation that the duration of the closure will be counted in months, not weeks, and calling Rand and Mitch to demand answers about how they are going to help me and my employees survive this extraordinary circumstance.

Edit: now Illinois
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... =onesignal
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:19 pm

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:40 pm

So far the majority of states that are closing restaurants are closing them for in-house dining, but not carryout.

In Beshear's press conference today, he said the state is looking at closing bars and restaurants, but he is not ready to take that step.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Mike D wrote:I saw an article somewhere yesterday (WaPo? NYT?) pointing out that in most cases, even under "normal" circumstances, restaurants are among the cleanest public places.

They are, but I don't think that's the issue. I assume that someone who is pre-symptomatic (or non-symptomatic, or just carrying the virus, if that's possible) can easily infect people within a "blast radius" of several feet, contributing to the spread of the disease.

I hope you enjoyed District 6, it's one of my faves in St. Matthews!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:32 am

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:41 am

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:42 am

We were bad and went out all day Sat.

Garage Bar was dead at 12:00.
Galaxie was dead at 1:00
Nouvelle was dead from 2:00(opening time) - 3:00
Overdrive - very busy
Doc's Bourbon House - dead
Moxy bar - 50% full
Repeal - packed
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:29 am

Now is the time to get carry-out/delivery from your favorite spots. If you don't, they won't likely be there when this is finally over. I realize everyone spent the last 2 weeks buying every canned good in sight, but now is the time to eat carry-out every night. You can save the canned goods for later.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext