Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Jake & Elwood’s

by Gary Guss » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:57 pm

Okay ...hot dogs, polish and beefs all need to come from Vienna on Elston Ave. and it sounds like they are. I prefer Malnati's over Giordano's but that's just me.. actually I like Mi Pie best of all... Will have to go and check it out on the next date night!

GG
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Okay ...hot dogs, polish and beefs all need to come from Vienna on Elston Ave. and it sounds like they are. I prefer Malnati's over Giordano's but that's just me.. actually I like Mi Pie best of all... Will have to go and check it out on the next date night!

GG

You're behind the times! The Elston/Fullerton/Damon corner is turning into a Drive Shack (Top Golf competitor), while Vienna moved manufacturing to the South Side / Garfield Park plant with new factory store across the street at 3847 S. Morgan St, and with the headquarters and warehouse in the West Loop / Fulton Market area.

Last time I was there the factory store had both locations,Elston and Morgan, but I know the Elston store will be gone soon if it's not gone yet.
Andrew Mellman
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Opening pushed back to 3/16/20
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:I see a couple of major problems already!

From Kevin's review: "Thurley said the deep-dish pizza will be reminiscent of Giordano’s, the classic Chicago-based chain, while the dogs will always be Nathan’s brand, which is a Windy City favorite."

Giordano's makes a great pizza, but they are "famous" for a stuffed pizza, not the iconic Chicago deep dish. Their stuffed is actually my favorite, but their deep dish is second-tier to Gino's, Uno/Due, Malnoti's, Rosati's (tho this to some is controversial), and Pequod's (with Labriola as an upstart newcoming coming strong).

Second, Chicago's hot dog is from Vienna Beef, NOT Nathan's! Nathan's is a NYC/Coney Island stalworth, while Vienna has their factory in Chicago, supplies virtually all the Chicago local hot dog places, and is the "real thing."

Just for interest, Lonnie's Taste of Chicago uses Vienna for all their meats.

+1
Grew up in Chicago suburbs and loved hot dogs. The ONLY real Chicago hot dog is Vienna Beef.
And I’m with previous poster on Magnati’s. ( Yum! )
User

Matt M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

by Matt M » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Anyone been by to give them a try?
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:50 am

Matt M wrote:Anyone been by to give them a try?

I got one to go on Friday and, upon finishing her first and only slice of the meal, my wife anointed it her favorite pizza in the city right now. I think we got six meals out of one pizza, and as a fat dude, I'm usually putting away three slices for a light meal. It was delicious, too. I'd opt for the caramelized crust. We got the Comiskey and it was a really tasty slice. The sauce was almost like pomodoro due to its chunkiness, and the slices themselves reheated really well.

I don't have any strong loyalty to a Chicago pizza joint, so I can't weigh in on that debate, but having had it, I'll definitely have it again.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Fri May 01, 2020 11:39 pm

I just heard about this place... Anyone else tried it yet? I can't imagine opening a new restaurant in this atmosphere.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 am

We picked up a pizza and a dog and some garlic knots yesterday. The pizza was good enough to make me like Chicago deep-dish style, which I usually don't. The garlic knots were addictive. The dog was disappointing, but two out of three ain't bad. I'm working on the review now, so stay tuned!
Previous