Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

Re: Eight months later, Emmy Squared Pizza is open in NuLu

by Chris M » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:26 am

We stopped in last night and got a couple of pizzas to go. From those of you familiar with Detroit style pizza, that's the style they are most similar too. Though imagine it with NY style sauce (bolder but slightly sweeter) and a variety of more interesting toppings.

The place is beautiful. The new "Nulu Market" area (or whatever it's called) with Emmy, West 6th and other businesses is really well done. They have a large and very nice courtyard area and ample parking in the rear off Billy Goat Strut.

Let me start off by saying I've eaten at the original Emmy Squared in Brooklyn and am a fan. I'm also a fan of the Detroit style crust. This hits all of the notes. Their red sauce is very good, sitting atop the cheese as it should be, and the toppings were all fresh and ample portioned. We got the Colony and the Angel, the Angel being a white pizza with mushrooms and a truffle flavored drizzle, the Colony a red with pepperoni, jalapenos and honey (my favorite). Both had bold flavors (little garlicy and buttery in the crust) and lived up to my experiences in NYC. My only complaint is the crust loses some of that crispiness when boxed and driven home. Not their fault, and alas, a common issue with to go (I'm about a 15 minute lag from pickup to eating). Still, everyone enjoyed it and the service was top notch across the board. We ordered online, received a text when our order was accepted, given a range of time it would be ready and then another when it was ready. The person manning the counter was also very friendly, thanked us and gave us the come back again. I got the impression it was one of the owners. There were a few customers sitting outside enjoying the beautiful fall evening we had last night, but they also have spaced indoor seating available. A single pizza is 6 pieces, enough to feed 1 with left overs or 2 if you aren't big eaters. A single pizza and salad would be a perfect meal for 2 and probably leftovers for lunch the next day. 3 of us (moderate eaters) had 4 slices left over. Prices for the pizzas range from $13-19. Like I said, easily a meal + for all but the most hearty of appetites.

I was hoping to pick up a 6 pack of West 6th to go with it, but apparently they are only doing Thursday - Sunday for now. Makes sense. We also swung by the new Do/Love/Live Brewing going up on E Washington and they look about ready to open. Another nice addition to the area hopefully.

Based on my experiences at the original, the owners are doing a good job with the pizzas. Their hot chicken sandwich and burger are also delicious and I intend to try those here on future visits. The loaded waffle fries are another favorite of mine, though I'll probably wait until we can do dine in for those. Loaded fries are a soggy mess when boxed and driven.

The salads sound and look good too, but I mean... burgers and pizza, am I right?

It's definitely unlike anything we have in Louisville currently since LouiLoui's closed (I don't count Jets, it's the Dominos of Detroit style pizza - barely passable as such) and the food quality is really high as was the service.

Hopefully they can stay open long enough to build up a base. It's a little hidden and Google maps takes you down the alley even though there is a market street entrance to the mall. Were times different it would be a regular weekend beer & pizza, hang out in the courtyard kinda scene. As we stand, it will definitely make it into our rotation for to go.

Highly recommended.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:50 am

Thanks for the detailed review, Chris! Now I'm hungering for pizza ...
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Not food, but I went by today to peek in on West 6th, they are currently on a soft opening, official this Wednesday. A nice interior courtyard, though somewhat compact, is in the middle of 6th, Emmy, and another place. Blink and you'll miss the alleyway to get into it, but it is on Market between Grind and the Mayan Cafe. West 6th has quality beers, look forward to when the world is at a point where a spot like this is bustling again. Until then, they do have a drive-thru window in the alley between Market and Main. About half of their selections are not on the Kroger/liquor store shelves.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 am

We went last Sat. and the marketplace was packed. Had a drink at the Craftery and had to wait for someone to leave the courtyard to sit down. The line at West 6th was 5-10 people deep the entire time. Dinner at Emmy was good, probably not a place I will seek out. We had the wings, hot chicken sandwich, and roni supreme +olives. No bar program to speak of. I ask about what cocktails they offered and got the bourbon and coke response. The marketplace is a great outdoor area. I just hope the place can survive winter.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 am

Just for the record, I went by for takeout the other day - thought the pizza was good, more to come on that - but forgot about the Marketplace and just rolled up on the Market Street side, which is after all its address. No problem finding it that way, it's right where you'd expect 825 E. Market St. to be. :)

They also have a wall of cubicles where they put pre-ordered takeouts with the buyer's name visibly attached, which made no-contact pickup really easy.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:51 pm

I finally managed to try this place Tuesday night. First, let me say that even at 6-ish on a Tuesday night, the NuLu area was quite lively. The diagonal parking spaces on Market were all full and I parked a block or so away.

I placed a pickup order and it was ready at the stated time. I got the kale Italian salad with dressing on the side. Unlike Robin, mine was preassembled other than the dressing. I was a little concerned about its longevity because the artichokes, peppers, and olives likely had some oil and/or vinegar in them, but kale tends to hold up well, and I was able to save half the salad for the next day with no ill effects. The champagne vinaigrette dressing was outstanding. I like strong flavors, so I ground a very small amount of pepper on the salad, but that was probably unnecessary. Very impressed.

I also ordered the Roni Supreme pizza. It looks like a regular pizza with miniature pepperonis on top, but is also packed with flavor, thanks to the Calabrian chiles. On my dining room table, I had set up various herbs and spices that I normally end up using in some combination on pizza, such as red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Surprise! It needed nothing, and my spices got put back in the cabinet unused. The chiles gave it a very good kick, and there was also a good garlic flavor and a decent amount of sweetness from the tomato sauce. The crust was soft in the middle and crispy on the outside.

Five stars overall--it's clear that they use very high quality ingredients. There are also a lot of vegetarian pizzas on the menu. I did think it was a bit pricey, and I don't think it edges out Coal's as my favorite bespoke pizza joint.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:13 pm

Thanks for the report, Nathaniel!
Previous