Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Galan’s offers a tasty oasis in a West End food desert

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:55 am

Galan’s offers a tasty oasis in a West End food desert

Galan's medianoche sandwich, a Cuban treat intended for midnight snacking, is just fine at midday.

Many of Louisville’s West End neighborhoods are defined as food deserts, places where low-income neighbors don’t have easy access to supermarkets. But Carlos Galan is trying to do something about that.

Galan, who came to Louisville from Florida five years ago with his wife, Kim, saw potential in the West End, and he is taking practical steps to bring food to the Market Street neighborhood where Russell meets Portland.

He and partner Joe Noren opened a butcher shop two years ago at 29th and Market streets, offering affordably priced fresh, quality meats and sandwiches, and canned goods to a neighborhood that had none

Two months ago, he added a sit-down restaurant nearby. Galan’s Meat Market & Grille offers Cuban, Puerto Rican, and down-home fare in a former bank building at 23rd and Market.

We headed west to try it out for Saturday lunch, and I’m glad we did, although I’d like go go back on a Sunday, when there’s an expansive $15.99 buffet, or on a weekday, when Cuban and Puerto Rican specials are on the menu.

The dining room is attractive in bright white and matte black, with art depicting Caribbean scenes and a stylized Cuban flag. Shiny butcher-block-look tables are branded with Galan’s logo and set with stacking metal chairs. One table, available by reservation, offers guests fancy seating in the old bank vault.

Galan’s is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner Mondays through Saturdays, and brunch on Sundays. Its menu is diverse, appetizing, and as affordable as you would want an oasis in a food desert to be. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/galan-oasis

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Galan's Meat Market & Grille
2300 W. Market St.
618-3191
https://facebook.com/GalansGrille

Robin Garr's rating: 83 points.

Noise level: When the room is fairly full, as it was for our Saturday lunch, there's a steady buzz, but it's not too loud to chat comfortably with your table mate. (Average sound level was 78dB, toward the higher end of normal conversation.)

Accessibility: The entrance and seating are accessible to wheelchair users, and the restrooms are equipped with accessibility hardware.

Galan’s Meat Market & Deli is at 2801 W. Market St., 614-8514, galansmeatmarket.com or facebook.com/nobodybeatsourmeat.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Galan’s offers a tasty oasis in a West End food desert

by Richard S. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:08 pm

My wife and I ate here a few weeks ago and had a similarly positive experience. I occasionally drive for Lyft in the evenings, spending much of my time in the West End, and have taken to making notes of the various eateries I come across. Sweet Peaches at 18th and Muhammad Ali looks like a contender. So does Eve's Pizza at 17th and Algonquin and Cup of Joy at 2507 Bank St.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Galan’s offers a tasty oasis in a West End food desert

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 pm

Thanks for the list! A couple of those are on my radar, a couple not. But now they all are! :)