Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

“Green substance”

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

“Green substance”

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:45 pm

From a health inspector’s C grade at Dish on Market (C/80): “ Food-contact surfaces not cleaned and sanitized. Soda guns have green substance inside them.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... l?ana=wlky

I don’t think I’ll be eating there anytime soon.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: “Green substance”

by Mark R. » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:56 pm

I saw that what I was looking thru the inspection reports also. I'm not sure what the "Green Substance" was but it's certainly not something that sound very appetizing.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:31 am

If the spouts aren't cleaned regularly, the syrup can build up and ultimately mold. That would be my best guess as to the "green substance." Those are so often overlooked. Never go into your favorite restaurant with self serve beverages and remove the spouts and diffusers from the soda machine if you want to continue being able to eat there. It's one of the most commonly neglected areas in a restaurant. And you probably don't want to see the inside of that nozzle on the tea decanter either. I've seen soda machine diffusers being corroded away from the carbonic acid in fountain drinks when they haven't been routinely cleaned and maintained. Where did those little bits of corroded plastic go...?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks (I think) for the details, Ronnie. :P Mainly, I just thought "green substance" was a little too compelling to pass up.

Really, although it's less obvious, I thought the 80-point grade was possibly a greater concern than the random C. You've got to work to get a sanitation score down that low.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 am

A few years ago I interviewed for a kitchen position at Dish. After speaking with a man who identified himself as the owner he gave me a cooking test to see if I could perform a couple of simple tasks. While I was working the stove this gentleman stood 2 feet away from me in the kitchen smoking a cigarette and drinking a bourbon and coke. At 930 in the morning. I decided not to accept that job offer.