Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fries

User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Fries

by Bill Veneman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I have noticed that when I order something that comes with French Fries, or some variation thereof, that they tend to be limp and soggy! Am I the only one who likes 'em golden and crispy?
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Fries

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Nope . . . some times (depending on the restaurant) I order them without salt. First, I'm not supposed to eat that much salt, and second, that means they have to make them fresh (since they normally fry a large batch, salt them, and then hold them under the heat lamp which makes them soggier)
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:03 pm

To some extent it depends on the quality of the eatery. I can't recall having a frite that was anything but crispy and golden at Caffe Classico, for instance. The umami fries at SOU were really good, too.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:34 am

I used to like the fries from Four Pegs, but the last few times they've been nasty, inedible salt bombs.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Jimmy R wrote:I used to like the fries from Four Pegs, but the last few times they've been nasty, inedible salt bombs.

So it's not just me. Even the fish wasn't quite as good the last time. I was hoping that wouldn't be a trend.
As for fries, this is one of those topics that is almost too big for me to dige...(sorry, caught myself mid (bad) pun). So many qualifiers. I guess I break them down into categories: "fast food," pomme frites, chips (i.e. steak fries), american handcut, and probably several more. So, in order of these listed categories: Ollie's Trolley, Monnik, Irish Rover, Home Run Burger (although Oskar's has some great ones that kind of fall in between this category and pomme frites). I find these establishments to be quite consistent in producing a crispy, non-greasy product with great flavor.
In terms of my own biases, I particularly like fried potatoes that go well with malt vinegar or mayonnaise, although that peanut sauce at Monnik is surprisingly addictive. I typically prefer a larger cut that gives you both an external crunch and a bit of pillowy potato in the center, so British chips, steak fries and thicker pomme frites always score well with me when well executed. Oh, and why do crinkle cut fries even exist? :twisted:
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:17 pm

In terms of my own biases, I particularly like fried potatoes that go well with malt vinegar or mayonnaise, although that peanut sauce at Monnik is surprisingly addictive. I typically prefer a larger cut that gives you both an external crunch and a bit of pillowy potato in the center, so British chips, steak fries and thicker pomme frites always score well with me when well executed. Oh, and why do crinkle cut fries even exist?

Steve are you a fried potato expert or a "potato snob"? :D

I hate to say this, but in the past few years my desire for potato's in general has gone to a rating of "2" (out of 10)...I am not proud of that but my waistline is! :lol:
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Well Jerry, I'd hope to say I'm neither. :lol: I know what I like and what I don't, enhanced by decades of experience. I admit I am snobbish when it comes to the original poster's lament: greasy, limp "fries." I'm waiting for the advocate of that creation.
ETA: Yeah, I hear you about the carbs. That's one reason I prioritize GOOD potatoes!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote: Oh, and why do crinkle cut fries even exist? :twisted:

They exist because many with really like them! They have more surface area so you get more crunchy surface area while still having the fluffy center. They actually are probably the most traditional shape for fries in the states.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:33 am

Crinkle cut fries also have more surface area to capture that wonderful freezer burn.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:23 am

Crinkle cuts are almost certain to have come out of a commercial freezer bag. :P
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:49 am

Robin Garr wrote:Crinkle cuts are almost certain to have come out of a commercial freezer bag. :P

Yep, Sysco's finest.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Ditto's fries... The last few times I've eaten there, they've come out so hot/fresh that they were too hot to eat right away. And they're very crisp.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:06 am

It’s an injustice that a discussion of fries in Louisville goes without mention of Holy Grale’s frites.

There, that’s better.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:57 am

Ray Griffith wrote:It’s an injustice that a discussion of fries in Louisville goes without mention of Holy Grale’s frites.

There, that’s better.

Those are probably my favorite fries, too, along with the burger.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:04 pm

The fries at Rye are currently my favorite.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next