Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Rolled Oysters

User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

Rolled Oysters

by TimT » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:29 pm

When planning a trip to Boston I was asked to find a place for rolled oysters. The thought process being if there were a place other than Louisville, that would be it. No luck finding such a place so far.

Is there any place left in Louisville serving rolled oysters?

It seems like benedictine, rolled oysters are a uniquely Louisville delight.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Rolled Oysters

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:44 pm

As far as I know these are a Louisville-only deal.
Several places still offer them. I can think of Check's, Home Run Burgers (not all the time), and some of the fish houses (Hill Street has them, and I think I've seen them elsewhere).
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 pm

The Fishery on Lexington has a sign out front that reads "try our rolled oysters."
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:21 pm

It's pretty much a Louisville-only thing. Mazzoni's had them since the 19th century and claimed their family brought them over from Liguria on the northwestern Mediterranean coast in Italy. I've traveled there and studied Italian food but have never been able to verify that, so I suspect that someone at Mazzoni's likely invented them a long time ago.

Bob Kiper, who owns Home Run Burgers with his daughter, Kathy, tells a story about the Mazzoni's recipe having leaked out to Hungry Pelican and then carried over to Home Run through his ownership. Could be. I have to say that Home Run is the only place left that makes a good imitation of the original. It might be Lent before they put it back on the menu, though.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:46 pm

I agree with Robin regarding Home Run Burgers' version. It is the best one I've had since Mazzoni's shuddered.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:08 pm

My Mom laments the closing of Mazzoni's every time we pass it or she has a craving for rolled oysters. She tried them at Check's and was disappointed. She says they were mostly breading and just a stingy oyster or two in each. I haven't been able to talk her into Home Run's yet, but will try again after reading this.

I do intend to try and make some for her - found a video on YouTube that claims to be Mazzoni's own recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKDowneJts If anyone makes it, please post a report, and I'll do the same if I beat you to it! :D
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:02 am

Joni Lemke wrote:found a video on YouTube that claims to be Mazzoni's own recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKDowneJts If anyone makes it, please post a report, and I'll do the same if I beat you to it! :D

That looks awesome, Joni, thanks! I doubt I'll try this because I don't really deep fry, but it's good to have this in case that changes! Last time we had a rolled oyster was at the sister restaurant Flabby's, and I'm pretty sure it was after Mazzoni's moved, but was still open? Anyway, either they weren't this big, or I have forgotten, because I don't remember them being baseball size! :o
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Porkland BBQ in Portland has rolled oysters! We had a work event there last week and saw them on the menu. I don't eat oysters so I can't vouch for them. I also don't eat meat so can't vouch for the BBQ either. However, the slaw, hush puppies and tater tots are very good. Really neat place working hard in the Portland community. Check out Porkland and Love City sometime.

https://www.porklandbbq.com/menu
https://www.lovecityinc.org/

Their Mackin Building has a great meeting space as well.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks, Heather! Sounds worth a trip. I'm intrigued by the presence of elotes (not by that name) in the middle of all the bbq. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 pm

When I went to the Home Run Burgers in Middletown this past Wednesday, they had rolled oysters! I didn't get one, but I thought I'd check!