Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

House of Bourbon

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

House of Bourbon

by James Natsis » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:24 am

I had a chance to pop in there yesterday afternoon. It is located on Market St next to the White Castle. It is the second of its brand with the original located in Lexington.

It is a top shelf type of place in selection and style. They have many regular selections that can be found anywhere, but much of their stuff is showcase, not so easy to find bourbons. It has a mini-museum kind of ambiance and will certainly find its audience in those who are looking for rare bourbons to purchase, for those wanting to gawk at them, and for those who love to talk about it. There is also a bar for consumption on the spot as well as a .... should I be saying this? ..... a secret room hidden behind a wall! The place is a class act .
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: House of Bourbon

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Interesting pop-up, I wonder how they handle the liquor permit(s) considering that's a pretty strict involved process. To think it would require at least 2 different permits, one for the sale of bottled bourbons and one for the serving of them.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am

Mark R. wrote:Interesting pop-up, I wonder how they handle the liquor permit(s) considering that's a pretty strict involved process. To think it would require at least 2 different permits, one for the sale of bottled bourbons and one for the serving of them.

Mark,
I think you misread my "pop in" for a pop up. It is not a pop up store. They plan on growing with the industry in the area as they already have in Lexington.
James J. Natsis
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:13 pm

It’s a $80 for green label Weller type of place.

Weller c.y.p.b. was either $900 or $999.

All the regular bourbon was 10-20% higher than any other place in town.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:51 pm

JustinHammond wrote:It’s a $80 for green label Weller type of place.

All the regular bourbon was 10-20% higher than any other place in town.

Most stuff down there is marked up higher than in other parts of town anyway. They'll likely make most of their money off of tourists who mainly stay within the downtown area and who are on a quest for bourbon from bottom to top shelf.

Many locals are prone to take bourbonism lightly because we live in the mix. But we doubled our downtown hotel count in less than 5 years (new convention center played a role here), and built 9 distilleries in less than 6 years (Evan Williams --first to open in Nov 2013, Stizel Weller, Peerless, Jim Beam Stillhouse, Michters, Rabbit Hole, Angel's Envy, Old Forester, Copper and Kings) because there is a huge demand and people come in from all over to take in the bourbon experience.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:26 am

James Natsis wrote:... there is a huge demand and people come in from all over to take in the bourbon experience.

Yep. People think I'm joking when I say we're turning into The Napa Valley of Bourbon, but it's no joke. It's smart development. I'll still take my good old Old Forester over all the trophy bottles, though. :)
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:58 am

JustinHammond wrote:It’s a $80 for green label Weller type of place.

I love me some Weller but that's just ridiculous.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:46 am

My little hometown of lawrenceburg has seen the benefits of the bourbon trail. Main Street is full and alive again after about 10-15 years of death. All attributed to the folks coming in to Wild Turkey and Four Roses. It’s hard for me to believe. As a young kid I’d go visit my grandma who worked at WT for decades mixing mash. The most exciting thing there was the coffee machine that dispenses hot chocolate in poker cups! Now people pay money to go on fancy tours!
We had dinner recently at the Brown Hotel Lobby. Our table was next to a display case of rare bourbons. Inside was an original Master’s Keep bottle which had been aged 17 years. It is the last thing on the market my grandma would have mixed mash for. I don’t drink but it was cool to see the product of her work still out there!