Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Seafood Lady moving to Nulu

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:39 pm

James Natsis wrote:Having a UPS hub located in town has to play a role in carrying on that tradition.

No doubt it's made things even better, James, but Louisville has been a surprisingly fish-loving town all the way back to the 19th century and the free fresh oysters at Mazzoni's and tons of other bars. And fried cod sandwiches and mackerel on Fridays. UPS has to help on the "gourmet" end, but there's nothing new about this.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Natsis wrote: the free fresh oysters at Mazzoni's and tons of other bars.

Wut??? You mean to tell me you could just walk in and say, sure, hand me a few shells? Oy, now I'm really starting to question my karma for my era of existence...
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Natsis wrote:Having a UPS hub located in town has to play a role in carrying on that tradition.

No doubt it's made things even better, James, but Louisville has been a surprisingly fish-loving town all the way back to the 19th century and the free fresh oysters at Mazzoni's and tons of other bars. And fried cod sandwiches and mackerel on Fridays. UPS has to help on the "gourmet" end, but there's nothing new about this.

Humm, I never realized it was that strong of a tradition.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:38 pm

James Natsis wrote:Humm, I never realized it was that strong of a tradition.

It really does go back to a sizable 19th century Catholic population and fish-on-Fridays ... which really meant fish several times a week for poorer families. It might sound funny, but it really happened that way. Or so I've learned. You could probably google it. Might even find something with my byline. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:40 pm

This article (not by me) touches on it from the perspective of Catholic history in Louisville. There's more, but this gives a general idea from a cultural standpoint.

https://wfpl.org/curious-louisville-why ... ouisville/
Previous