Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

An observation about our growing restaurant scene

by Richard S. » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:21 pm

I drive for Lyft part time and as a result encounter quite a few tourists. I like to brag about the restaurant scene and people always seem to be impressed with the dining choices in town. Passengers often ask me for recommendations about where to eat.

I did get a comment last night, though, that was kind of disappointing. A couple had dined at a Whiskey Row restaurant, and while they enjoyed the food something detracted from their experience. Apparently one of them ordered a cocktail, and when they received the check the price they were charged was $4 higher than what was listed on the menu. They disputed it and the price was reduced by $2, but they were still charged more than the menu price. They again disputed it but were told (they said) "that's the price."

Of course, what they told me and what actually occurred may have been two different things. I did apologize to them (not sure why I felt embarrassed about it). I just hope we're not developing the "let's stick it to the tourists" attitude I find in many other cities.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: An observation about our growing restaurant scene

by neal.johnson » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 am

Easy solution: No tip for the service or refuse to pay. I would have lost it if that's what they said.

Whiskey row is just like 4th Street Live, garbage for tourists. Especially with that poaching incident at Irish Rover. Gag.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 am

neal.johnson wrote:Especially with that poaching incident at Irish Rover. Gag.

I did wonder if the restaurant in question was one of that Distil/Moxy group ...
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:41 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Whiskey row is just like 4th Street Live, garbage for tourists. Especially with that poaching incident at Irish Rover. Gag.

Sorry, but Doc Crows, Sidebar, Troll, Patrick O'Sheas, Impellizzeri's, Merle's are all in Whiskey Row and are not "garbage for tourists."

Also, wonder if passengers ordered off a bourbon menu but ordered on the rocks or neat. Most places now pour more and charge more for that, and few warn you in advance or explain it well if asked. I don't like the practice, but if I were charged $4 more for a 2oz pour of Pappy instead of a 1.5 oz pour I'd think it a bargain!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:Whiskey row is just like 4th Street Live, garbage for tourists. Especially with that poaching incident at Irish Rover. Gag.

Sorry, but Doc Crows, Sidebar, Troll, Patrick O'Sheas, Impellizzeri's, Merle's are all in Whiskey Row and are not "garbage for tourists."

One can choose to stay away from that area and to not support it. But to refer to the, in my view, outstanding local options along Main near 2nd St, as "garbage" is uncalled for.
James J. Natsis