Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sou

User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Sou

by Mary Anne » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 am

caesar with anchovy crunchies.jpg
Caesar
caesar with anchovy crunchies.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Salmon.jpg
Salmon
Salmon.jpg (70.19 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
hanger steak.jpg
Hanger steak
hanger steak.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
I went to Sou last night https://sou-louisville.com/menu/ and was quite impressed. The incongruity of the building and the level of food being served was a little unusual, but Chef James Moran is firing on all thrusters. It's in the old Skyline Chili building, in front of the building that used to be TGI Fridays in Plainview. Is that reference sort like saying it's in front of the old Sears Store? :lol: It's not a huge menu but it's really hard to drill down to a reasonable amount of food to order. We weren't drinking but they have a nice cocktail menu. We settled on no apps and I ordered the Hanger steak with umami fries and subbed a Caesar for the herb salad for a small upcharge. The lure of anchovy/shallot crumbles called to me... I'm a small hairy fish fan. The fries had what I think was togarashi sprinkled on, and they were perfect, piping hot and thin and crispy. The Caesar and those anchovy shallot crumbles were as I imagined, I dream of Caesar salads like this. The Hanger steak, while I was advised must be cooked to medium-rare, even though I usually like my beef resuscitable, was so, so good, with a gojuchang based sauce drizzled on the plate. Plate licking was contemplated. My friend declared her salmon equally as delicious and perfectly cooked. Good enough that neither of us was sharing...or talking. We decided to order two different desserts and split them. Goat Cheese cheesecake was very rich and creamy and so beautifully plated. The donuts were actually donut holes, warm and crunchy and ohmygoodness. Service was stellar, helpful and attentive without being obtrusive. Next time the steak tartare is going to be ordered, and the mussels, and more of those donut holes!
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Sou

by Mary Anne » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:56 am

umami fries.jpg
Fries
umami fries.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
The umami fries deserve a picture too...
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:37 pm

We’re going tonight! After your review, I think the hangar steak is in my future.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Whoa! Thanks, Mary Anne. Those look great!

Did they manage to make a former Skyline Chili look like an upscale eatery? I'm curious to see how they do that. :shock:
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Whoa! Thanks, Mary Anne. Those look great!

Did they manage to make a former Skyline Chili look like an upscale eatery? I'm curious to see how they do that. :shock:

No, no they did not make it look like an upscale eatery. The chairs have been changed to the standard metal chairs everyone seems to have with a long banquette running the length of the building. And two top tables that can be pushed together if needed along that wall. I don't need plush to appreciate good food, but it's clear this was once a fast food place. I don't think they are done, and I think if they put in some window dressing it'll be less Skyline-y. They have assembled a bar with seating in the middle of the restaurant. They have some construction photos on their Facebook page. I should have taken an inside photo. Reason to go back I think. :wink: