Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Jasmine coming to Lime Kiln Lane

by Rich S » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Jasmine Asian Bistro is supposed to open soon at 2420 Lime Kiln Lane, in the Glenview Pointe shopping center. It appears to have the same ownership as the Jasmine near Middletown, despite the slightly different name.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jasmine coming to Lime Kiln Lane

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:34 pm

That could be good news. In recent years Jasmine has been among the city's top Chinese - a category that in general ain't what it used to be, though. The chef in Middletown is supposed to be a famous chef from Sichuan. I have to say that visits over the past couple of years haven't been up to the past, but still.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:28 am

Robin Garr wrote: I have to say that visits over the past couple of years haven't been up to the past, but still.

Try the twice cooked fish - as good as Red Pepper or any of their past dishes (from the AUTHENTIC menu, which they don't give you unless you ask). Really, any of the twice cooked dishes!

We've always found the food good, but the service has lacked; e.g.: one person will get a main dish, another will get rice, and a third will get an appetizer, then the first would get an appetizer, the second also an appetizer, and the third rice, and so forth. Lately, the service has improved, maybe from a D to a B?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:29 am

What scares me is that by saying "Jasmine Bistro" they might have a more limited menu, only the "American" menu and not the "Authentic" one?
Andrew Mellman
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:13 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:What scares me is that by saying "Jasmine Bistro" they might have a more limited menu, only the "American" menu and not the "Authentic" one?

It looks like it is going into the space occupied previously by "Cake Flour" bakery and that is a tiny space. Hope I'm wrong.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:22 am

Jon K wrote:It looks like it is going into the space occupied previously by "Cake Flour" bakery and that is a tiny space. Hope I'm wrong.

It's going to be next to Fashion Post, in the spot where Mi Tierra used to be (before it moved into the Zeggz space). Jasmine already has signs up in the windows.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:00 pm

Rich S wrote:
Jon K wrote:It looks like it is going into the space occupied previously by "Cake Flour" bakery and that is a tiny space. Hope I'm wrong.

It's going to be next to Fashion Post, in the spot where Mi Tierra used to be (before it moved into the Zeggz space). Jasmine already has signs up in the windows.

and it's a lot bigger than it looks on the outside
Andrew Mellman
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Rich S wrote:

and it's a lot bigger than it looks on the outside

Glad I was wrong. We live only a mile away and are hoping this is a hit.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:33 pm

We ate at Jasmine again this evening. We had our "usual" - appetizers: pot stickers and shrimp shu mai; entrees: pola fish with "fried rice." Just can't get enough of that "Pola fish!"

I had a long talk with Lan (Sp?), the proprietor. She said that her husband (the famous chef from Sichuan) would remain at the Middletown location. She also said that the twice cooked dishes would remain on the menu; the American menu would remain but the authentic menu would switch to Cantonese.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks for the report, Gayle!

Gayle DeM wrote:...the American menu would remain but the authentic menu would switch to Cantonese.

Do you think she's talking about authentic Guǎngdōng-style dishes from Canton, or does that mean Cantonese-American?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I didn't even think about it, because the Middletown one is but three blocks from my home and I much prefer Sichuan. However, I'll try to ask her next time I go in.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck