Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

A ship-ton of C ratings, per Biz First

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Whoa! Normally I'm not a big fan of publicizing C ratings, because most of them represent one-time screw-ups that can be quickly fixed. I think B ratings are more of a concern because they tend to represent a more broadly slack attitude in the house.

But this list in Biz First is different, and alarming. I've never seen so many C's, quite a few from familiar eateries, and some of them look serious.

I wonder if Mercury is in retrograde, or could the inspectors are thinking seasonally and looking for Christmas tips?

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... dvRHVPeiJ9
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: A ship-ton of C ratings, per Biz First

by Mark R. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:27 pm

I looked at that list when it 1st came out earlier this week. It didn't strike me as there were so many restaurants with a correctable "C" as much as how many were doing for incorrect chlorine level in their automatic dishwashers. I don't member everything that before but this month there were a lot of restaurants with it, I'm guessing either as a new Singley check for or they just decided it was a good time to check it!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:51 pm

Sergio’s:
“Establishment closed due to imminent health hazard.”

Yikes.

Coals got a C? Ate at Coals last night. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 am

Jay M. wrote:Coals got a C? Ate at Coals last night. :D

There is no better time to dine at a restaurant than right after the C came down. They're scurrying to make everything perfect for the reinspection.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am

It's pretty wild to see that not having hot water on a food truck is equally as bad a violation as the presence of insects according to the health department.

And yet Spinelli's is still open somehow.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 am

What I found interesting in the article was this item in the listing of the various critical violations: "insects, rodents, birds, turtles or other animals present". Turtles??? Is there a rampant problem with stray turtles in restaurants? It seems oddly specific.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:What I found interesting in the article was this item in the listing of the various critical violations: "insects, rodents, birds, turtles or other animals present". Turtles??? Is there a rampant problem with stray turtles in restaurants? It seems oddly specific.

Fresh turtle soup? :twisted: I dunno, Michele! Good catch. I hadn't picked up on that, but it is an odd one.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Heroes in a half shell. Turtle Power!

https://lex18.com/news/2019/05/17/lfchd ... estaurant/
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:08 am

Ron H wrote:And yet Spinelli's is still open somehow.

The one in St. Matthews just reopened after remodeling.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:28 am

Nathaniel C wrote:

Spinelli's serves the Drinking Community, a demographic not known for its lack of enthusiasm for greasy, salty, hot food without regard for its quality.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Spinelli's serves the Drinking Community, a demographic not known for its lack of enthusiasm for greasy, salty, hot food without regard for its quality.

Good point, but the last time I went to Spinelli's on Baxter, I watched a roach walk down the steps from the kitchen half to the eating half of the building while eating fried Oreos. I hesitate to think that our august health inspection professionals would take bribes, and yet... this was in the middle of the day.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:What I found interesting in the article was this item in the listing of the various critical violations: "insects, rodents, birds, turtles or other animals present". Turtles??? Is there a rampant problem with stray turtles in restaurants? It seems oddly specific.

Turtles are only a problem when the McConnells go out for a bite.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 am

Ron H wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Spinelli's serves the Drinking Community, a demographic not known for its lack of enthusiasm for greasy, salty, hot food without regard for its quality.

Good point, but the last time I went to Spinelli's on Baxter, I watched a roach walk down the steps from the kitchen half to the eating half of the building while eating fried Oreos. I hesitate to think that our august health inspection professionals would take bribes, and yet... this was in the middle of the day.

Wow, just imagine a roach big enough to eat a fried Oreo. :wink:
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Nathaniel C wrote:

Spinelli's serves the Drinking Community, a demographic not known for its lack of enthusiasm for greasy, salty, hot food without regard for its quality.

I'd never been there and was curious, but I think that tells me all I need to know in order to skip it. It's weird that they have three Louisville locations and a fourth in Tempe, AZ, which seems random.