Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Las Margaritas isn’t just about the margaritas

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 am

Las Margaritas isn’t just about the margaritas

Tlayollos, the popular descendant of an iconic Aztec dish, are like mini-tamales with subtle almond sauce and fresh vegetable accompaniments.

It came as no real surprise when I discovered that Las Margaritas Mexican Cuisine features margaritas at its well stocked bar. After all, lots of Mexican restaurants do. But this place takes it to the next level, offering a choice of a dozen house margaritas, from traditional models built with tequila or mezcal to hibiscus, prickly pear or jalapeño models and – wait for it – a bourbon margarita.

I’m going to have to tell you that my instinctive response to the idea of a bourbon margarita was, well, not positive.

But don’t take a negative message from this. My visceral reaction to a bourbon-laced margarita to the contrary, I rate this new Middletown shopping center eatery in the top tier of the city’s large and growing galaxy of Mexican restaurants.

What do I love about Las Margaritas? Its extensive menu features regional Mexican dishes, many of them from Southern Mexico’s Gulf Coast, from Veracruz to Yucatan. Everything we tried was good. Pricing is reasonable, service is attentive, and it’s a good-looking, comfortable dining room.

The long, spacious and bright room boasts bold purple and tomato-soup red walls bearing a gallery of Mexican-influenced art that includes paintings of Frida Kahlo and Dia de los Muertos skulls. Attractive wooden tables and chairs and black booths afford comfortable seating, and big-screen televisions offered a choice of soccer and American football the other day.

Allow a little time to look over the extensive eight-page menu, which includes some regional dishes that may not be familiar. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/las-margaritas

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Las Margaritas Mexican Cuisine
12220 Shelbyville Road
963-5503
http://lasmargaritasmx.com
https://facebook.com/lasmargaritasmx

Robin Garr's rating: 87 points.

Noise level: We had the place almost to ourselves for an early weekday lunch, and only our conversation and soft background music like Maná’s Soledad broke the silence. (Average sound was 71dB, the level of normal conversation.)

Accessibility: This shopping-center space is fully accessible to wheelchair users.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Las Margaritas isn’t just about the margaritas

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 am

I love the Tlayollos, and all of their pork dishes I've tried. The Margaritas Dip is pretty freaking fantastic as well. And then there was that homemade watermelon margarita on a lazy Saturday. I'm out in that part of town a couple of days a month for work so I've plugged it into my regular rotation.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:49 am

Did you have a chance to visit the grocery next door or the Mexican bakery 2 doors down?
I was impressed not only by all the fun imported stuff in the grocery but by their cleanliness in the butchershop as well. The bakery had traditional Mexican pastries which I enjoyed because they weren’t as sweet as most bakery options.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:16 am

Carla, I think it's between a Rainbow Blossom, a Bumper to Bumper auto store, and a Fat Jimmy's. :) Maybe you're thinking of El Mariachi over on LaGrange Road, which is in a wonderful strip of Latino stores very much like what you describe?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Carla, I think it's between a Rainbow Blossom, a Bumper to Bumper auto store, and a Fat Jimmy's. :) Maybe you're thinking of El Mariachi over on LaGrange Road, which is in a wonderful strip of Latino stores very much like what you describe?

Ahhhh....oops! :oops:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Las Margaritas said recently on Facebook that it's opening a second location at 307 Central Ave., near Churchill Downs. It's replacing JB's Pub, which closed last summer.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 pm

Good to know! That's going to make quite a taqueria cluster near Churchill Downs, with Las Margaritas, El Molkajete and Santa Fe Grill all within a block or two of each other. More over on the Taylor Boulevard side too, as I recall.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Rich S wrote:Las Margaritas said recently on Facebook that it's opening a second location at 307 Central Ave., near Churchill Downs. It's replacing JB's Pub, which closed last summer.

¡Ay, caramba!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Looks like the second Las Margaritas, at 307 Central Ave., opened a few days ago for dine-in and carryout service. It has a separate Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/lasmargaritasoncentralave/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:58 pm

Rich S wrote:Looks like the second Las Margaritas, at 307 Central Ave., opened a few days ago for dine-in and carryout service. It has a separate Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/lasmargaritasoncentralave/

Nice! Good location, too, in a cluster with El Molcajete and Santa Fe Grill.