Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A cursed spot breaks free?

User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

A cursed spot breaks free?

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:32 pm

OK, we all know those locations that simply never work. The one I'm talking about is the spot right next to Mid City Mall Theater. I've seen it morph from City Cafe to Bazo's, and while the latter was actually quite good, nothing ever stuck. Tonight we had a wonderful meal at Ramen House (the relocated Ramen Inochi), and what made it so enjoyable was that almost all of the tables were full. The place was bustling. As an aside, they've expanded their menu to incorporate several bulgogi bowls (my wife's chicken bulgogi was outstanding). But really, my point is this is now a serious dining option for when you want to take in a movie in the lounge chairs at Baxter Theater.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A cursed spot breaks free?

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks for the report, Steve. It's on my list. It's dinner only but no lunch hours at this point, I believe?
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:47 am

No lunch hours...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Just for the record, I have to point out that City Cafe thrived in that spot for quite a few years. The curse only landed when it left, I believe. (And I'm pretty sure that closing was brought about by the owner's semi-retirement rather than business reasons.)

I still miss The Big Salad. :(
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm

The Ramen House is a great place -- I've been several times and I've had a high quality dish each trip. Perfect portion sizes in the ramen dishes, leaves me the right amount of full, not too stuffed, but no leftovers. It will definitely be a more frequent stop when the winter months hit.

This place is working because it is a destination in and of itself. The last few places (imo) were perfectly fine but were relying on business from the theater crowd instead of being a quality stand-alone shop that were worth the trip.