Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Malone's steakhouse

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Malone's steakhouse

by Kim H » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:51 am

A steakhouse out of Lexington is supposed to open in the Paddock Shops by the end of next year. Has anyone eaten at any of the locations in Lex? That will make 3 steakhouses fairly close together with Stoney River, Steak and Bourbon, and now Malone's. And wasn't there a steakhouse that was supposed to be opening in Sprinhurst? I could be wrong about that one, but if not, that seems like quite a few steakhouses in a concentrated area. https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/4020818002
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Malone's steakhouse

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Interesting question, Kim. Looking at their menu, I'd say Malone's is fancier and pricier than Stoney River, with an upscale steakhouse vibe more like Jeff Ruby's or Morton's.
https://www.allmenus.com/ky/lexington/2 ... ones/menu/

Same goes for Steak & Bourbon, really, and while it's also East End, I'd think Westport Village is far enough from Springhurst to cut down on the competition.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Yes, that's the one it was supposed to open in Springhurst. It was supposed be located between the Meier store and Bob Evans which seemed like a totally stupid location. It had no street visibility at all.

That's going to put 3 steak restaurants within a stones throw of each other. Stoney River which is in the same plaza, Outback, directly across the street and this one. I do agree with Robbins that Steak and Bourbon is far enough away to not be in direct competition. However I'm not sure if legal needs anymore High-End steak restaurant, they seem to be overrun with them and this 1 doesn't seem to have anything out of the ordinary on its menu as far as steaks go. It does have a few other items that you don't normally see on a steakhouse menu.

Also, I'm attaching a copy of a menu directly from the Malone's website which looks like is completely different from the one Robin found on allmenus. Not sure if they very the menu from location to location or possibly the one Robin posted is outdated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz0a61vktr0lp ... 9.pdf?dl=0
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:32 am

Malones is outstanding. Took a lot of Drs there when I was a pharma rep.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Malone's is same corporate ownership as Drakes, which has a Paddock location. Makes it easy to manage. In Lexington several BHG restaurants are frequently found in the same area.

Malone's is the high-end one of the group. I'd put it a direct competitor to Stony River, with maybe more of a "clubby" atmosphere. Good wine, good bourbon selection, and a very good 2nd tier steakhouse (not competitive with Mortons, Ruth Chriss's, Jeff Ruby's, head to head with Stony River and J Alexanders).
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:56 pm

BTW,, if I remember Malone's is a Lexington institution before/after UK games and events for those wanting a higher level of food and service. Between cross promoting with Drake's and UK alums in the area they will have no problems finding an audience.
Andrew Mellman
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:02 am

I like Malone's. Definitely a few price points below Ruby's, but very good food and drink. Service is also excellent, at least at the two locations in Lexington I visited. I think it hits the sweet spot above the steakhouse chains but below the stratospheric prices at Ruby's. I think it will compete with le Moo, Steak & Bourbon, and Ruths Chris.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Agree with Andrew and Ron's assessments of the Malone's atmosphere. Nice place. Very sports-clubby.

I'd love to see them open a location here of their sister restaurant at Lansdowne, OBC (Old Bourbon County) Kitchen. Really great food and an incredible whiskey selection.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Malone's Tates Creek was the premier steakhouse in Lexington for 2 decades before the arrival of Tony's, and now Ruby's.

Most agree their quality slipped once BHG started expanding their empire all around town, but the Lexingtonian Salad remains a winner.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:24 am

I'm encouraged to hear some of the good reviews regarding this restaurant. I'm a UK alum, but I'm kinda old, and don't remember this restaurant as an after-game destinstion. Maybe cuz I was poor. I remember Joe Balogna's, but I think I was too poor for that also. And although it's close to us, we've never tried Stoney River. Wouldn't mind your all's feedback on them v Malone's. A friend of mine likes SR quite a bit, and she has good taste in food and restaurants.

My proximity comments regarding these east-end steakhouses were based on my own geographical situation. Hubby agreed with you all that Steak and Bourbon isn't really close to Stoney River. But on my map, one is 7 mins away, the other 8 mins. Everything is about perspective, yeah? :-)