Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Room for dinner

no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Room for dinner

by RichardM » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:43 pm

I am sure this has been discussed before but I want to bring it up again.

I am a facilitator for a group that meets for dinner once a month. We range from 8-15 people each month. We do not have dues or money to pay 50 to 150 dollars to have a room for two hours. We're all adults - well into adult hood, with money to afford to eat out. We all know and understand that service workers live off of tips and when checks arrive at the end of the evening I always mention that we need to take good care of the server. I can understand if it is 25 or more because you probably need to bring in another cook and maybe one or two servers. but not so much with 8-10/12. What do restaurants do if 8-10 people just walk in at 6:30 and say 10 for dinner seated together. They don't charge a fee for that.

QUESTIONS:
Who in the East End of the county has a place with good American fare or BBQ, Italian, Fish or other good food, and a room for up to about 15, and doesn't require a fee?

Totally off the above subject NOT related. Just curious. Anyone been to Rumors lately?

Thanks for ideas.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Room for dinner

by Kim H » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:51 pm

I can't help you with your primary question, but we went to Rumors sometime in June. We enjoy the patio/deck on a nice evening, and it's comfortable and casual. It's still pretty much the same as it's always been (except they redid the floors inside, and have newer patio furniture). I usually get the grilled grouper sandwich without the bread, and it's quite good for the price. Hubby likes the Big Catch platter.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Mitchell's Seafood has a private room of that size, and does not charge. I think Varanase also has a room, but not sure if they charge or not.

Pat's Steakhouse definitely has one, and does not charge.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Corner Cafe has three private rooms. I'm not sure if they charge, but I'd be surprised if it's unreasonable. Napa River Grill has a couple of private rooms; again, I can't testify as to the charge.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Coals has private rooms at both locations, Selena's will close off the back deck for private parties which is a perfect size for your group.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:28 pm

Brasserie Provence
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:24 pm

I would pretty much echo Kim’s assessment of Rumors. I go mostly because they have raw oysters for a reasonable price and they are always good.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 pm

Rumors have hosted our retired firefighter meetings several times over the past year with no problems. They range from 10-40 people in size. We usually go just after the lunch rush on a Saturday and have had no issue whatsoever. They have been very kind to us and, as always, have good food and drink available.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:27 am

RichardM wrote:What do restaurants do if 8-10 people just walk in at 6:30 and say 10 for dinner seated together. They don't charge a fee for that.

This is how it has been explained to me before and I am sure others have other ideas, but to your first question: If a restaurant has the space readily available they seat a party of ten and serve them (this is a big if). They may not charge a fee, but the restaurant does pay a cost in wait times, ticket times, and server availability. It also matters that one party of ten may be pleased, but that is 5 parties of two that are now waiting and not seeing their server as often. That is a lot of plates coming up at once for any kitchen. This is why most places charge a fee to offset delays in service and the strain on kitchen staff. I will grant you some fees are more extreme than others and may not outwardly seem justifiable, but this is the thought behind it. I'm curious what others think though.