Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best local pizza these days

Boombozz
No votes
Charlestown Pizza Co.
No votes
Coals
33%
Danny Mac's
3%
DiOrio's
6%
Impellizzeri's
3%
Iroquois Pizza
No votes
Luigi's
3%
MozzaPi
27%
Old School NY Pizza
3%
Parlour
No votes
Pizza Lupo
6%
The Post
9%
Wick's
No votes
Za's
No votes
Other (please post your choice in a reply)
6%

Total votes : 33
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

POLL: Best local pizza these days?

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:29 pm

Well, I didn't see the September 29 closing of Butchertown Pizza coming :cry: and the quick loss of Steve-O's in the former Clifton's Pizza was kind of a surprise, too. Let's do a quick reality check with a poll for Louisville's best pizza right now.

(I'm casually defining this as places primarily known for pizza, so (for example) I left off Garage Bar, bar Vetti and Red Hog even though their pizza is more than worthy; but you're welcome to disagree, and that's what the "Other" category is for. :)
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: POLL: Best local pizza these days?

by Leah S » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Pizza Donisi
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Wait. Butchertown Pizza Hall is closing? nooooooooooooo
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 pm

We love MozzaPi and if they ever fulfill their promise of being open longer hours it would probably be a favorite. However since they are not Coals certainly fills that niche very nicely.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Well, damn. I’m going to miss those garlic knots and cinnamon knots
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:23 pm

I wasn't going to do this, but we ate at Ciao over the weekend, and their vege pizza was absolutely WONDERFUL! I know they aren't a true "pizza restaurant," but they do have a pizza oven and pizza chef right in the open in front, and their's rivals anyone else in town. Plus, you can get some really interesting and creative adult beverages while you eat!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:41 pm

Put me down for Lupo, but bar Vetti, Garage Bar, Mozza Pi, Coals, Donisi, and Sarino are all in my top tier.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Plus, you can get some really interesting and creative adult beverages while you eat!

I like Ciao a lot, Andrew, and the bar is one of the things I like most about it! It's like sitting at a bar in Florence. Except for the English language being spoken ...
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:57 am

I like Ciao a lot, Andrew, and the bar is one of the things I like most about it! It's like sitting at a bar in Florence. Except for the English language being spoken ...

Except that Luigi is a despicable human being. My partner used to live next door to him on Rubel. He would sit there on his front porch late at night just berating his girlfriend to tears. Treating her like garbage saying all types of demeaning things. This would go on for hours in to the night. I would never give him a cent.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 am

It's sad when abused women stay around for more. :(
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:40 pm

neal.johnson wrote:

Except that Luigi is a despicable human being. My partner used to live next door to him on Rubel. He would sit there on his front porch late at night just berating his girlfriend to tears. Treating her like garbage saying all types of demeaning things. This would go on for hours in to the night. I would never give him a cent.

Is this the same Luigi from downtown Luigi's? If so, he's a nasty piece of work. We would often walk over to Luigi's for lunch and saw him in action. I finally stopped going because I didn't want him getting a dime of my money. Nasty to employees, rude and dismissive of customers. No thank you!
no avatar
User

lawrence.pigman

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:54 am

by lawrence.pigman » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm not sure how to vote but will have to go with Lupo. They are excellent but I have never ventured out to MozzaPi.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Alanna H wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:

Is this the same Luigi from downtown Luigi's? If so, he's a nasty piece of work. We would often walk over to Luigi's for lunch and saw him in action. I finally stopped going because I didn't want him getting a dime of my money. Nasty to employees, rude and dismissive of customers. No thank you!

He is listed as "an owner." It appears that the owners of the building are the major investors, the sister of a building owner is the general manager, Helen Impellizzeri is the executive chef, and Luigi is "an owner."

Never been to his pizza restaurant, know nothing about his personal life, but Ciao makes a great pizza.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Alanna H wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:

Yes. He's a scum bag.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Since the topic is local, I think Richo's in New Albany deserves consideration. I love their deep dish, and it's inexpensive. A little bit of a drive but worth it.
Next