Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Six Forks: simple, affordable quality

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:17 am

Six Forks: simple, affordable quality

Six Forks offers the plant-based Beyond Burger as an option. It was very good with grilled onions and Asian peanut sauce.

A restaurant doesn’t have to be expensive to be good, and it doesn’t have to be elegant to be pleasing. I present in evidence Six Forks Burger Co., an amiable little eatery that specializes in hamburgers, hot dogs, and more.

Six Forks recently arrived in a Shelby Park street-corner storefront that, in years past, housed Louisville’s only Pakistani restaurant and later a fried chicken-and-fish shop.

Now Six Forks owners Troy King and Selena Johnson – who also operate the popular Pollo Gourmet Chicken Joint food truck – have fixed up and redecorated this welcoming little place. They’ve added colorful notes with splashes of red, white, and pink paint that give the floors and table tops a Jackson Pollock vibe; a long wooden church pew forms a banquette along a wall.

Place your order with the friendly folks at the front counter, pay and give your name, grab your drink from a big cooler, take a seat and relax.

Speaking of drinks, bottled water is free, and that goes for anyone passing by who’s thirsty. Fresh-made Kool-Aid is $3 (and free on Tuesdays) for a 32-ounce mason jar, your choice of grape or bright-blue Jolly Rancher raspberry. Refills are $2.50, assuming you can glug down a quart and come back for more.

Allow yourself a little time to study the menu. First, decide whether you want a double burger with no cheese ($6.25), a double burger with three slices of cheese ($6.55), a li’l burger with one patty ($5.30) or a l’il cheese burger with a patty and one cheese slice ($5.45). But wait! There’s more! You can substitute an organic turkey burger ($6), the vegan, gluten-free Beyond Burger ($7.25) or a bison burger ($9).

You’re not done yet. Now choose among ten free toppings, 11 free sauces, and 13 premium toppings (85 cents), allowing something like 13 million possible combinations, from mustard and ketchup to a Dagwood burger loaded with pimento cheese, cheddar, bacon, buffalo ranch and raspberry chipotle barbecue sauce. For example. Or let the chef do the deciding with any of four chef’s selection burgers ($6.95) including the super-spicy caliente burger or even the adults-only breakfast burger with bourbon-spiked chocolate sauce. ...

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/six-forks-burger

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Six Forks Burger Co.
1270 S. Preston St.
565-9750
https://facebook.com/sixforksburgers

Robin Garr’s rating: 87 points.

Noise level: We had no difficulty communicating across the table at lunch time on a weekday. (Average sound was 73dB, the level of normal conversation.)

Accessibility: The restaurant and restrooms are fully accessible to wheelchair users, but those with limited hand and arm motion may have difficulty with hard-to-twist round doorknobs and heavy doors.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Six Forks: simple, affordable quality

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:30 am

Sounds great based on the green beans alone. Going to have to hit this place up. As an aside, I wonder if they are serving the original Beyond Burger, or the new one. I've noticed a huge difference between the two, with the new one being really close to the texture of the Impossible Burger, while the older one had a bit more of a standard veggie burger taste/texture. One way to tell the difference is the color: the original being more orange.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm

The are definitely serving the gen 2 Beyond Burger. I've had two, know the owners, and asked.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Leah S wrote:The are definitely serving the gen 2 Beyond Burger. I've had two, know the owners, and asked.

Good deal, thanks.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:48 pm

The same week this wonderful review came out, they've posted this on their Facebook page. Please, go visit them when they return!!

Before opening our beloved SIX FORKS BURGER COMPANY, our food truck POLLO – A GOURMET CHICKEN JOINT committed to vending at the National Fried Chicken Festival in New Orleans, Louisiana this upcoming weekend. Unfortunately, in order to honor this commitment, SIX FORKS BURGER COMPANY will be closed from Thursday, September 19th until Sunday, September 22nd. We will reopen on Tuesday, September 24th at 11 am.

We thank you for your patronage, apologize for the inconvenience and can’t wait to see your smiling faces.

By the way, when you do come in after we return from New Orleans, mention this post and get a free mason jar kool aid on us.

Troy and Selena
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Im not criticizing you, robin, but when you review a burger joint, i want to know about the burger! Not In lueu of any of the other reviewed items, but in addition to them.

And again, no disrespect intended, and i do not expect you to tailor your reviews to my own personal desires, but this is merely the request of one of your many food website groupies. I know you have to fight us off regularly

For the record i have no ill will towards veggie products either. My wife recently ordered a beyond italian sausage special done up chicago style at red top and i was thoroughly impressed

So im “down”.
Last edited by Dan E on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Heard, Dan. That's a fair point! Now I have an excuse to go back! :mrgreen:
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:30 am

Welcome to our hood, Robin! We have been sooooo happy to welcome Selena and Troy to Shelby Park. Everything we have had there has been great, the only issue is they are so close (3 blocks) to our house, we want to go there every day!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"