Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Open Caribbean Kitchen

User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Open Caribbean Kitchen

by Mary Anne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 pm

OCKplate.jpeg
OCKplate.jpeg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
These guys were down in Chef's Space on 18th St serving takeout only, now they've set up a permanent spot at 4735 Poplar Level Rd. They haven't gotten around to removing the previous tenant's signage on the top of the building, but they do have a sign on the door indicating they are indeed Open Caribbean Kitchen. I've been watching them on Facebook for some time, and decided today was the day. I pre-ordered the ribeye steak, mac and cheese, and mixed veggies off the link on their website, total was $18 with tax. Those little specks on the veggies = garlic. The orange sauce on the mac and cheese was their "special sauce". Not sure what it is but I think I'd drink it if it were in a glass. The steak, while well done, was moist and incredibly flavorful. Huge serving, easily two meals. Delicious! They have a website, but not all the info is correct https://www.opencaribbeankitchen.com/...their location hasn't been updated :wink: They do have seating onsite, which I didn't realize before I went. Very casual and very good food! I can't wait to go back and some of the other menu items.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Open Caribbean Kitchen

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks, Mary Anne! Did you happen to ask if they hail from a specific Caribbean nation - perhaps with some characteristic dishes - or just represent the region in general?
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 pm

I just saw something about this restaurant yesterday! I was curious about it, and came here to yesterday to see if anyone had posted about it, which they hadn't at the time. So thanks for sharing! I believe I read it is Haitian food, and wondered how it compared to Caribbean Cafe. I believe we'll have to check them out soon! :)
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks, Mary Anne! Did you happen to ask if they hail from a specific Caribbean nation - perhaps with some characteristic dishes - or just represent the region in general?

No, I didn't ask, I think the chef is of Haitian origin. But a lot of the dishes seem to be Jamaican-ish...Rasta Pasta and jerk chicken...I'm guessing he's riffing on the region rather than a specific nation. I'm returning Thursday with a friend for a sit-down lunch, now that I know they have tables! Forgot to link their Facebook page in my first post...https://www.facebook.com/OpenCaribbeankitchen/
no avatar
User

lawrence.pigman

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:54 am

by lawrence.pigman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Loos and sounds great! I'm going for sure. I sure wish places would quit using those damn styrofoam clam shell containers though. We must get away from single use plastics!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 am

lawrence.pigman wrote:Loos and sounds great! I'm going for sure. I sure wish places would quit using those damn styrofoam clam shell containers though. We must get away from single use plastics!

You and me both! The sad part, though, is that it's the little ethnic restaurants that seem most likely to use them these days. Cost factor? I'm not suer.