Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Anyone tried La Bonita Tienda Mexicana?

by Kim H » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:24 am

I stumbled upon this place on the interweb. It's a taqueria in the Clifton Center on lower Brownsboro. They have what looks to be a rather large menu for a taqueria, and there's also a grocery store. I love me some authentic tacos and was just curious if anyone here had been yet.
https://www.facebook.com/labonitatiendamexicana/

Just found this: https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle ... ta-tienda/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Anyone tried La Bonita Tienda Mexicana?

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:27 am

I've been meaning to go there forever but haven't done it yet. So many eateries, so little time! I have no reason to think it wouldn't be good. Gotta move it up my list!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:31 am

I was surprised you hadn't been there, Robin! At least, that nothing was mentioned here. I can't tell if they serve margaritas, but it doesn't look like it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:39 am

I need to go there, Kim. Las Margaritas Mexican Cuisine at 12220 Shelbyville Road is also very high on my list.

Speaking of Mexican, I wonder if Noche, the place in the old church on Bardstown at Roanoke, has settled down yet? :)
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am

I wondered that too about Noche. I'm still waiting after some of the reviews I've read. I really want them to be great!

We tried Las Margaritas in late June after a friend recommended it to us. I'll have to give them another try based on all the raves I've heard, but we weren't really impressed. I'd have to look at the menu to give the names of the specific dishes, but they were both pork dishes. Mine was pibil, I know that, and his was pork in a green sauce. Both dishes were very fatty. I know certain cuts of pork can tend to be fatty, but his in particular was about a third fat. Flavors were ok, but we weren't wowed. We were leaving for a trip that weekend, so maybe my head wasn't totally in the game, so to speak. Well probably try it again because we are definitely in the minority!
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Based on comments from my neighbor, who worked there briefly, I'd still give Noche some more time. He said they have promise, but they are still struggling. He echoed the gist of many of the Yelp complaints, but he said not to write them off. He thinks they'll get their act together given time.
Kim, sounds like you had the Cochinita Pibil, and I'm guessing the other dish was the Piggy Maya. It's a shame that they were both fatty. As you pointed out, that happens with pork sometimes. I've not had the Piggy Maya, but I enjoyed the couple bites of my wife's Cochinita Pibil; hers was not fatty, though. I'm a big fan of the Tlayollos, both the puerca and the pollo, but especially the latter because of their tasty mole sauce.
Now I'm going to have another Mexican place to try.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:Based on comments from my neighbor, who worked there briefly, I'd still give Noche some more time. He said they have promise, but they are still struggling. He echoed the gist of many of the Yelp complaints, but he said not to write them off. He thinks they'll get their act together given time.try.

That's what I'm hoping, Steve. I decided to give it a little more time to let them hopefully find their stride.

Steve Eslinger wrote:Kim, sounds like you had the Cochinita Pibil, and I'm guessing the other dish was the Piggy Maya. It's a shame that they were both fatty. As you pointed out, that happens with pork sometimes. I've not had the Piggy Maya, but I enjoyed the couple bites of my wife's Cochinita Pibil; hers was not fatty, though. I'm a big fan of the Tlayollos, both the puerca and the pollo, but especially the latter because of their tasty mole sauce.

Yes, I remembered that I had the Conchita Pibil because it was a dish I had been eyeing at La Cocina de Mama. I had also spotted this dish on the menu at La Mayan Latin Cuisine a few months ago when we were thinking of going out that way for something (didn't end up going). Apparently, it's the same owners as Las Margaritas. And I also remembered that Rob's dish had a cute name, so yes, it was the Piggy Maya. We'll definitely check them out again because it could've been an off night. I've heard others talk about the Tlayollos, so that might be the way to go next time, con Pollo!