Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Colonial Gardens/Taco Luchador Report

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Colonial Gardens/Taco Luchador Report

by Joni L » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:38 am

Good morning!

We visited Colonial Gardens last night. Arrived around 6:30 and the parking lot was full. We ended up parking at the Iroquois Amphitheater and took our lives in our hands crossing New Cut :lol:

The courtyard is really nice. It was busy but not packed. El Taco Luchador is really nice inside, bright and modern with a fun vibe. We waited in line about 15 minutes to place our order. A server quickly brought out our margarita/sangria swirl pitcher which was delicious. Possibly my favorite margarita of all time! We waited on food maybe 15 minutes, everything came out hot and fresh and correct. I had the carnitas torta which was excellent - a little spicy and great flavor. My sweetie and I shared an elote which was super - it almost seemed as if it was cooked on the flattop as the corn was a little caramelized. Really great. The other folks with me really enjoyed their food as well but I didn't sample anyone else's. Service was excellent with servers clearing plates and checking on us (which you don't always get with a fast casual concept).

Union 15 looked like it was coming along nicely - I know they're shooting for opening September 26. Overall, I was very favorably impressed, but parking will definitely be an issue considering we were there on a weeknight with no event going on at the Amphitheater.

On a personal note, we had a really neat thing happen. Long story, so grab a sammich... my boyfriend lost his brother just over a year ago. For Christmas, I had purchased a brick at Colonial Gardens in memory of David. We met his daughter there specifically to see his brick and celebrate his memory. Because Keith and David grew up in the South End, I knew that would be really meaningful to his family and it was clear that it was. Crazy ironic - Keith was looking at the other bricks to see if there was anyone that he knew and there was a stone for MY aunt and uncle's family! We were so surprised and pleased. Both of our families are now represented there. How cool is that? My family are all East Enders so I'll have to ask around about the South End connection.

We will be moving to the South End one of these years (Keith is refinishing his entire house himself while working full time), and I'm so excited about these additions. There are great people in the South End that are working hard to make it better, and I think the new restaurants (and others seeing their success) will go a long way in continuing to improve the area!

Sorry for rambling but had to share!
J
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Colonial Gardens/Taco Luchador Report

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Well rambled, Joni! Thanks for the detailed report, and the wonderful story about the family bricks. :)
no avatar
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 am

As an old south-ender I am so glad that Colonial Gardens was saved. I can't wait to visit the next time I am back home. Thanks for the update.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:31 am

I grew up in Shively and went to high school at DeSales, a few blocks away from Colonial Gardens. I played tennis pretty much every spring/summer day at the Iroquois Park tennis courts right across the street.

I have many fond memories of that neighborhood and am so happy to see the revitalization of that corner. And we love Taco Luchador so will be making a trip out there soon.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Taco Luchador has turned on me. Too much glitz and glamour for overpriced tacos. It's a circus now. I guess that's what you get with a chain restaurant.
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Taco Luchador has turned on me. Too much glitz and glamour for overpriced tacos. It's a circus now. I guess that's what you get with a chain restaurant.

I feel the same way Neal. I much prefer the taco trucks. My new go to truck is at the corner of Bardstown Rd. & Breckenridge Ln. (in the Valero gas station property), and I believe they have another sister truck back up Breck in a gas station (in front of Jock's).

It's still hard to beat the value of the special at Panchito's...three tacos, drink, and ice cream for $10.99!