Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mojito in Havana

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Mojito in Havana

by Nathaniel C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Figured it's about time for an official thread. I'm not sure I'm able to link directly to the official Google listing, but it should be in the sidebar if you click here. The listing indicates they plan to open October 1, and if you scroll down, they have posted two photos a few days ago indicating they are putting the final touches on the restaurant and getting ready. :mrgreen:

From the outside, the sign on the east end of the building is now up (although some Waylon's signage is still visible on the front). There are a handful of parking spaces reserved for the restaurant, and a couple for take-out, on that side. The three shutters facing the parking lot have been covered with portraits of people I assume to be Cuban. I was never fond of the black, white, and red color scheme of Waylon's, but I'm not sure whether they will change it for Mojito in Havana.

Regardless, I can't wait to try the new place!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mojito in Havana

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Nathaniel C wrote:Regardless, I can't wait to try the new place!

Me either! Thanks for the report, Nathaniel!
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:51 pm

Google still says October 1. They posted a few new pictures on Google - looks like they are keeping the clunky metal chairs from Waylon's. I like the green paint in the dining area. I must've misremembered about the shutters - it's clear from the photo they posted that they are street scenes from Cuba.

Link here.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:25 pm

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 am

Officially open Monday for dinner. Looks like their hours are 5-9:30 Monday through Thursday and 5-10 Friday and Saturday. They plan to eventually be open on Sundays (and I assume for lunch sometimes as well).
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:56 pm

Can confirm that the food and drinks are as good as they ever were. I must have really misjudged the capacity of the new place vs. the old, as there were a lot of waitstaff serving the tables, compared to the old location. The bar is much larger.

The menu is a hodgepodge of small plates from Mojito Tapas and the regular dishes from Havana Rumba. They now have tacos, which were not offered in St. Matthews, at least in recent history. Both the vegetarian and the chorizo queso dip (which are both excellent) are still on offer. The petit filet and chicken marsala from Mojito Tapas are on the menu, which are also very solid choices. The HR menu has been culled. There are still lots of vegetarian and gluten free options. Mashed potatoes are a new side option, and they remind me of my mom's.

Mercifully, the Yuca Brava appears to be deleted from the appetizer menu. Despite my love for this place, this was literally the only thing on the menu I actively disliked. It wasn't terrible, per se, and I saw reviews from other people who really liked it, but I thought it was just average compared to the other outstanding choices available. The other yuca side choices (boiled with garlic and pickled red onions on top, or fried with chimichurri on the side) are great and are still on the menu.

The only HR menu items I really liked, which appear to be gone, are the charcuterie board (entremes), and the Pollo a la Milanesa, which was a chicken breast the size of a hubcap topped with cheese and serrano ham, with sofrito sauce underneath. I also wish they had brought the Cuban hamburger over from Mojito Tapas, but I recognize that they can't have everything on the menu in every location.

This remains my "go to" restaurant, and I hope their success continues.