Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

District 6 on Shelbyville Road

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

District 6 on Shelbyville Road

by Nathaniel C » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Anyone heard about this? Apparently they applied for a liquor license and will be located where CC Prep Outfitters used to be, next to the former Mellow Mushroom. A banner above the door said "coming soon...good food, good vibes."

I guess the Bermuda Triangle between Westport Road, Shelbyville Road, and St. Matthews Avenue, where restaurants seem to vanish out of thin air, will have another potential victim! :lol: I hope they succeed, though.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: District 6 on Shelbyville Road

by Rich S » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:25 am

It looks like the restaurant's owner put some photos on the Yelp page, and the logo refers to the place as a "gastropub." At least it's not another pizza or taco place (not that there's anything wrong with pizza or tacos).

https://www.yelp.com/biz/district-6-louisville
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am

Adding a few more pcs to the puzzle.

https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle ... -and-more/

District 6 in St. Matthews

A business called District 6 has applied for an alcoholic beverage license for the space located at 3930 Shelbyville Road, next to Molly Malone’s in St. Matthews.

The owners are listed as HVT Partnership, featuring a pair of local residents in Hanh Duong and Vinh Thai, as well as Tram Thai, who is listed with a New York address. The business is requesting special Sunday licensing as well.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hanh-duong- ... =pub-pbmap
Hanh Duong
Business Owner at Lá Quế

https://www.facebook.com/events/480901439127326/
District 6 Ribbon Cutting
Public · Hosted by Chamber of St. Matthews
Friday, September 20, 2019 at 10:30 AM – 11 AM
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks, Justin. Excellent sleuthing!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:39 pm

I finally found a website for this place, with a menu. Lots of Vietnamese dishes (pho, banh mi) along with some more general Asian fare ("Pagoda Noodles: District 6 twist on pad Thai with shrimp and tofu"). The website doesn't specifically say when they open, but I assume it will be this Friday, after their ribbon-cutting.

https://eatdistrict6.wixsite.com/district6
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:53 pm

the wife and i showed up late on opening night and placed a carry out order.

i was impressed, particularly for a brand new place.

The District 6 Noodle Soup was very solid. Asian noodle soups are some of my favorite things to eat and this held up well. Shrimp and Char siu pork in a rich but light broth with well-made egg noodles.

Ribs--this was a half rack done in the style of a chinese spare rib. I thought the glaze was outstanding and the ribs tender and flavorful

Bacon Egg and Cheese fried rice--rich and delicious. my wife found the togarashi(i think) to be a little overwhelming, and it did pack a punch, but i throoughly enjoyed it for treating my hangover the next morning.

i want to try more, but would absolutely order any of these items again.

the owner and staff all seemed to be very plesant and helpful as well.

welcome addition to the neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Went by there about 6 last night, didn't see anybody and the "open" sign was off. Had a quesadilla at Taco Choza instead. As I was leaving, I saw the "open" sign was on and there were people inside. D'oh! Guess I should've gone up to the door to check before assuming it was closed. Dan E's review sounds very encouraging, so I'll definitely try again another time.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:49 pm

Was finally able to try it tonight. Per Dan E's recommendation, I had the ribs, and concur that they are excellent. The jasmine rice and salad which came with them were also really good. I don't think I've ever had Asian ribs before. The sauce was sweet with a little spicy kick, and the meat was very tender and easily fell off the bone. I probably could've/should've eaten only half and taken the rest home, but I devoured the whole entree.

I ordered a margarita to start, and was dismayed when the bartender pulled out a bottle of Tres Agave mix. When I order a marg at a restaurant, I expect something I can't make with ingredients from Target. I plan to try their other mixed drinks, but I'm a huge snob about my margaritas. I had a beer after that, and it was good. They appear to only have four beers on draft at a given time, but their bottle and can selection is good for a small restaurant.

They weren't very busy on a Monday night--perhaps 10 other people were there, and it was quiet. Service was friendly and attentive. I'll definitely be back to sample the other entrees.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:08 am

We went early last Friday and had a decent experience. Food was ok to very good and the service was acceptable. The tables are a little close for my comfort and when the server was at the table it was like they were standing over the top of you. As mentioned above the cocktails need some work. The description and pictures of the cocktail program on the website is not what you are getting.

9/10 - just needed more heat
Spicy Fried Hot Wings (8)
Seasoned and tossed in tangy garlic sauce, topped with Thai chili & cilantro
$12

8/10 - a little over fried, but still tasty
Mama's Mini Spring Rolls (10)
Fried crispy rolls filled with pork and shrimp
$12

7/10 - Brussels were slightly undercooked and not much flavor of the ginger/miso dressing
Brussels & Black Kale Miso Caesar Salad
Ginger miso
$8
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:53 am

Justin, we dropped in and I was pretty impressed. Better luck with our food choices, and we opted for one of the separate tables at the back since the banquette seating did look pretty crowded. I'd definitely go back.
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:33 pm

I went for lunch today. You apparently can order off the dinner menu at lunch...so I ordered the drunken beef, their spin on shaking beef, one of my favorites. I also got an order of the mini spring rolls. My lunch buddy ordered the lunch combo, small beef pho and 1/2 a pork bahn mi and an order of summer rolls. The drunken beef was wok sauteed beef with absolutely no seasoning whatsoever. Not even salt and pepper. I was a little stunned, as it was not like any shaking beef I've had before. Did the chef forget the seasoning? It was served on some lightly dressed lettuce. The mini spring rolls were interesting, a little greasy and a little spare on the filling but tasty. I tasted my friend's pho, it was ok. The noodles were one big sticky lump at the bottom of the bowl and didn't lend themselves to separating, even when encouraged with a fork. The bahn mi was deemed ok, and the summer rolls were declared ok as well, with the peanut sauce declared really good. Service was attentive and I was a little surprised, only a couple of other people there at lunchtime.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Very odd, Mary Anne! We were in for lunch yesterday, it was crowded, and the food was surprisingly good. It almost makes me wonder if there's more than one chef and they trade off. :shock:
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:57 am

Robin Garr wrote:Very odd, Mary Anne! We were in for lunch yesterday, it was crowded, and the food was surprisingly good. It almost makes me wonder if there's more than one chef and they trade off. :shock:

I hadn't considered this, but maybe the Wednesday Chef isn't up to speed. Perhaps they were completely unprepared for an order of Shaking Beef and the lunch chef had no clue how to prepare it? But that doesn't explain the gummy noodle brick at the bottom of the Pho bowl that defied separation. I know they just opened and are getting their feet under them and reviewing a place before they have been open a while isn't always fair...but one thing is certain, those metal chairs are brutally uncomfortable! Why does every single restaurant opening seem to choose these?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:28 am

Mary Anne wrote:...but one thing is certain, those metal chairs are brutally uncomfortable! Why does every single restaurant opening seem to choose these?

But they're such a pretty yellow! :D I dunno? I guess they're cheap and durable. BTW, the short row of tables on the right at at the back of the room have a different kind of black metal chair with a flat wood seat, possibly marginally more comfortable.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nathaniel C » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 am

Went back with family yesterday and had another good experience. I got the bacon egg and cheese fried rice, and it was amazing. It came across as extremely spicy at first, but once I was in a few bites in, I could taste the other flavors. Will definitely order again.