Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

DiFabio's

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

DiFabio's

by Kim H » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 am

We ate here tonight for the first time. To be honest, I was looking for a new-to-us comfortable patio dining experience with decent food. We weren't disappointed. The patio has a comfortable atmosphere, and the food is tasty. I wouldn't say it's the best Italian food in the city, but we enjoyed our dishes, and were pleased with the casual atmosphere, and the service was pleasant. To begin, we enjoyed the complementary Blue Dog bakery garlic bread. Not as garlicky as we would've liked, but you can't go wrong with BD bread. It was lovely.

For our entrees - Rob ordered from the create your own pasta, and got spaghetti with meat sauce and 3 meatballs. I ordered veal marsala, and a side of sauteed zucchini and sqash (only $2! I wanted some veggies, and they were cooked perfectly! ). The meat sauce on his spaghetti was good, altho I don't like when the sauce isn't mixed with the pasta, and their sauces come piled on top. Not that big of a deal, I guess, but a little disappointing. The meatballs were good, although a bit unusual. They had a uniform crust, and we guessed that they were deep fried. Not what I'd expect from a more traditional Italian restaurant, but the flavor was good, and I enjoyed the interior texture (we had a slight debate about that).

My veal marsala was decent. The veal was pounded thin and was tender. The sauce was pretty thick, and a little sweet, but the flavor kept me coming back for more bites. It was finished with demi glace, so if you're expecting a light colored marsala sauce, this isn't for you. But we both enjoyed it.

We finished with a tiramisu - I'd skip this next time. Nice enough, I guess, but it didn't wow us. It should probably be noted that I'm not typically a dessert person.

All in all... good place for a nice, comfortable dinner. I won't be bringing the out-of-towners, but we'll be stopping back for a comfortable, casual meal.
Last edited by Kim H on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: DiFabio's

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for the review, Kim. I like DeFabio's too, and I think you've captured it nicely. I'd add that it's run by a nice local family whose parents own a similar restaurant down in the state.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:38 pm

My take on Italian, I can cook about anything on a menu and usually better and cheaper, but at times I just want some fresh homemade pasta. Why is it so difficult to get homemade pasta in this town?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Grassa Gramma makes its own pasta, but to be honest, a lot of traditional Italian recipes work better with pastaciutta, dried pasta, as they do it in the old country. I had cacio e pepe at Gramma that was pretty good, but the frest pasta lacked the texture that I really like in the dish.

Thinking back on it, the pasta at Palatucci's was house-made too, and they hit the texture just right on the dish I had.
no avatar
User

Brooke B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:49 am

by Brooke B » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

I love the vibe of DiFabios and the fare is solid!
I’ll piggy back on Robin’s praise of Grassa Gramma, and add that Bar Vetti makes AMAZING, unique handmade pasta dishes, and is worth the trip downtown!
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:20 pm

Linda C wrote:My take on Italian, I can cook about anything on a menu and usually better and cheaper, but at times I just want some fresh homemade pasta. Why is it so difficult to get homemade pasta in this town?

fresh pasta at Volare.

I assume that Lotsa Pasta still makes fresh pasta.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:47 pm

Brooke B wrote:I love the vibe of DiFabios and the fare is solid!
I’ll piggy back on Robin’s praise of Grassa Gramma, and add that Bar Vetti makes AMAZING, unique handmade pasta dishes, and is worth the trip downtown!

Can't believe I didn't think of bar Vetti. One of the best restaurants, not just Italian restaurants, in town.