Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

J. Gumbos

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

J. Gumbos

by Richard S. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:33 am

We were going out to lunch Friday and my wife decided she wanted J Gumbo's, assuming they were open. They don't warrant much discussion anymore, it seems, but I will say the gumbo rivals anything I've had in New Orleans.

I get the impression that the Hurstbourne location suffers from ongoing staffing problems; seems like we went by once and they were closed due to lack of staff. I've seen this in a couple of restaurants in recent months. Starbucks, KFC and Taco Bell, to name a few.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: J. Gumbos

by Jerry C » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:18 pm

I haven't been in months, but when the craving hits I gotta have a mixed bowl of drunken chicken and bumble bee stew. I have always gone to the original on Frankfort Ave. Last time I was there I met the new owners, a young couple...sure hope they can make it work. How many units does J. Gumbo's have, and are they individually owned nowadays?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am

I use to go all the time when they were in Lyndon. When they kicked expansion into overdrive the quality dropped and it was hit and miss when they were open. I haven't been back since they went full on chain. I might have to check them out again. Voodoo Chicken was my jam.

http://www.jgumbos.com/location/

Locations
Click on state name to visit local J.Gumbo’s restaurants in that area.

Alabama
Colorado
Indiana
Illinois
Kentucky
Michigan
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

David Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 am

Jeffersontown

by David Smith » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Love the Voodoo chicken. The Stony Brook / Hurstbourne location is one of my regular lunch stops. My only gripe is they switched the side of French bread to Texas toast.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:04 pm

I went to the Stony Brook location today. Just had to after getting it on my brain!

Mixed bowl - 75% bumblebee stew; 25% drunken chicken. It was spot on! Makes no sense to up charge for mixing items!

French bread was served...no texas toast in sight. Owner seemed to be the only one there...said he opened that location 10 years ago...it is much closer for me than Clifton, and I will be back every 2 weeks.
no avatar
User

David Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 am

Jeffersontown

by David Smith » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:16 am

Jerry C wrote:French bread was served...no texas toast in sight.

Nice! The french bread is so much better.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 am

French bread was served...no texas toast in sight

David, on second thought maybe it was texas toast that was served. I just remember that is was soft and buttery. But thinking about the actual bread now, it very well may have been texas toast. Whatever it was, it got no complaints from me...but french bread would have been a nice touch.

I know the sign said all bowls were served with "rice and french bread"...maybe you could call him on it.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:03 am

The French would never serve bread that is warm and buttery. Just saying.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Cajuns might do it, though. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:31 pm

We got the Texas toast. Not French bread, but no complaints here.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:29 pm

They seem confused about their food allergens. According to the chart, crawfish etouffee contains fish but not shellfish? Oy vey! :!: And drunken chicken, voodoo chicken, and red hot chicken allegedly contain fish, but it's not mentioned as an ingredient on the menu. As someone with a shellfish allergy, this concerns me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 pm

That's a very serious concern, Nathaniel. Is this limited to one J. Gumbo in particular, or is the menu notice the same at all the branches you've seen?
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Robin, I linked to the menu and food allergen list on their corporate website, which implies it applies to all of the franchised locations. Seems like a pretty big oversight.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:41 am

:shock:
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:59 am

Inspired by this thread and my sinus infection, I picked up some Voodoo Chicken and white bean chili on the way home. Even with extra sausage for both and a side of delicious bread pudding, it was still a really good value. Though it appears they no longer sell beer at this particular location, probably because they didn't have a ton of eat-in business.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Next