Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Shady Lane owners retiring, but restaurant will stay

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Facebook post from Bill and Susi Smith:

Shady Lane Cafe
It is with a profound, bittersweet sadness that Susi and I would like to announce that we will soon be leaving our little Shady Lane Cafe behind. We are leaving it in the hands of a wonderful young couple. Who are eager and enthusiastic to continue, improve. and grow on our fifteen year legacy. The time has come for us both physically and spiritual to move on to new adventures. We have been so blessed to serve all of you. We have made so many new friends. Shared in so many tears and laughter. We have been given true love and support, that has sustained us in the best of times and the worst of times. And most of all, we have made about a million stomachs happy and full. We will continue on for the next month or so. Working with the new owners to assure a smooth transition for them. So come on by! Let us introduce you to the new owners. Let us thank you for helping us become a loved institution in our fair city. No tears. But no promises. There will more news to come in the coming weeks. But for now, let it be known that our little Cafe and you, all our dear customers, have changed us and made us so much richer. And know this as well. You are loved!

Bill and Susi Smith
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Shady Lane owners retiring, but restaurant will stay

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 pm

I certainly have mixed feelings about this announcement. Obviously I'm going to see that Bill and Susi are going to retire and I'm certainly going to hear that the restaurant will go forward under new ownership/management. They will obviously be missed by many of us and even if the new owners have the same type of wonderful food (I expect they will) it will still be sad not to be able to see Bill and Susi when you go in..
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Don't get me wrong I loved the food at Shady Lane , The Brownsboro Burger is the best in town and the homemade potato chips can't be beat . What kept us coming back what the familiarity ,knowing Bill and Susi would be there.
:cry:
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 am

I, along with many, many other people went in yesterday for a last burger from the present incarnation. The staff you have come to know are staying. The menu will remain. Bill and Susi are going to be helping with the transition for the next few weeks, then they will step away. I got a particularly good seat where I could enjoy Susi and Bill speaking to the customers as they streamed in. They will be missed.