Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Wiltshire at the Speed makes a museum visit even better

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 am

Wiltshire at the Speed makes a museum visit even better

Wiltshire at the Speed’s cacio e pepe pasta, plated with fresh heirloom caprese salad.

I’m not enough of an architect to describe the design of the expanded and improved Speed Museum and the way it seamlessly blends the old and the new, the traditional and the modern. In fact, I’m not an architect at all. But I know what I like, and I like the looks of the museum. I like the art within. And as a certified foodie, I really like what Chef Reed Johnson has done with its stunning cafe, Wiltshire at the Speed, the museum’s outpost of Susan Hershberg’s Wiltshire restaurant group.

Tucked into a corner of the tall glass first floor of the museum’s new section, the open, airy dining room takes full advantage of its view of the adjacent University of Louisville campus and the museum’s plazas, which also offer an al fresco dining option when weather permits.

The two inner walls, as museum walls should, fill the lofty cubical space with forms of art to engage the mind and imagination. One wall bears a huge installation made up of shades of blues and grays. A repetitive, silvery metallic pattern that shimmers in the light fills the other wall. It’s good food for the eyes, but Chef Reed’s dishes please the eye and the palate too.

This is not a high-end dining room with table service. It’s a quick-service, order-at-the-counter eatery, open only for lunch (11 a.m.-4 p.m.) Wednesdays through Sundays. It reopens one evening each month, with a special, elevated menu, during Evenings at the Speed on the third Friday of the month.

Place your order at the entrance to the dining area, where pastries, cookies and other treats from Wiltshire Bakery are on display behind glass. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/wiltshire-speed

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Wiltshire at the Speed
Speed Art Museum
2035 S. Third St.
224-9588
http://wiltshirepantry.com/wiltshire-at-the-speed
https://facebook.com/wiltshireatthespeed
https://instagram.com/wiltpantry1

Robin Garr’s rating: 85 points.

Noise level: Glass walls, undraped tables, and hard surfaces can rev up a steady sound when the room is filled, but perhaps thanks to the high ceilings, conversation remained possible. (Average sound was 72dB, the level of normal conversation, rising to 81dB, similar to the sound level of your kitchen garbage disposal.)

Accessibility: All the facilities in the recently renovated museum are fully accessible to wheelchair users, with the caveat that the cafe’s ordering counter, menus, and pastry case are situated for the convenience of walk-through customers.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Wiltshire at the Speed makes a museum visit even better

by JustinHammond » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:28 am

Is the admission fee required for lunch?

We went to the after-hours event and were hit up for $15 a per person before we could even order.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am

Yes, museum admission is required. I got to that at the end of the linked article, probably should have pasted it in here:

Bear in mind that admission to the Speed is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors, military, or those under 18, so you may wish to defer your visit until you come for a museum visit or a free-admission Sunday.
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:17 pm

Hubby & I were just checking this out yesterday. Looks like they still have Free Sunday admission through March 2021 and Wiltshire at the Speed does a Sunday Brunch. We found the link to last week's menu online and it looks very nice:

http://wiltshirepantry.com/wiltshire-at-the-speed/wiltshire-at-the-speed-menu/

Definitely making a visit in the next few weeks!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Not to be hyperbolic, but I think Wiltshire Pantry is, in my experience, the most consistently excellent restaurant in Louisville. I can’t remember ever having anything there that wasn’t just great. That’s based mainly on the sandwiches and pastries, but increasingly the pastas as well.

I haven’t had anything besides a pastry from the museum branch, but I’ll have to give it a shot next time we’re there.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:Hubby & I were just checking this out yesterday. Looks like they still have Free Sunday admission through March 2021 and Wiltshire at the Speed does a Sunday Brunch. We found the link to last week's menu online and it looks very nice:

Wilshire may be everything everyone says it is, but to me NO pasta dish is worth that kind of money!

WILD MUSHROOM PAPPARDELLE* // $112—
roasted prayer mountain oyster mushrooms, sage brown butter, ricotta cheese, roasted garlic, pickled ramps, aged balsamic, pappardelle pasta
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Michele Janosek wrote:Hubby & I were just checking this out yesterday. Looks like they still have Free Sunday admission through March 2021 and Wiltshire at the Speed does a Sunday Brunch. We found the link to last week's menu online and it looks very nice:

Wilshire may be everything everyone says it is, but to me NO pasta dish is worth that kind of money!

roasted prayer mountain oyster mushrooms, sage brown butter, ricotta cheese, roasted garlic, pickled ramps, aged balsamic, pappardelle pasta

And to think, not even a truffle.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Wilshire may be everything everyone says it is, but to me NO pasta dish is worth that kind of money!

Maybe "prayer mountain oyster mushrooms" is shorthand for "edibles"? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:14 am

JustinHammond wrote:Is the admission fee required for lunch?

We went to the after-hours event and were hit up for $15 a per person before we could even order.

Consider membership if you plan to go more than a couple of times a year. $70 for member + guest gets you unlimited admission for a year. $140 gets you reciprocal membership at a lot of other museums. For example, admission at the Cincinnati Art Museum is free but they charge for their special exhibitions. I showed them my reciprocal card from the Speed and got in free.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Free entrance allows direct access to the cafe

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Hey, gang! I've learned that you do not have to pay museum admission if you just want to go to the cafe for lunch. A separate entrance off the museum plaza offers access to the café with no admission charge.