Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

So a gringo goes to El Mariachi....

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

So a gringo goes to El Mariachi....

by Linda C » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:59 pm

I asked my husband to pick up dinner at El Mariachi, which has become one of my favorite restaurants thanks to Robin. Now, my husband is language challenged, admittedly. In Mexico, I told him to say good morning to the maid and he said “ Buenos Aires”. In Spain, he said “Adios amigos” to his female servers. You get it. But he went tonight and asked for a carry out and he said nobody understood. He got frustrated and walked out instead of calling me ( jeez, I have google translator)
I just thought this was hysterical, now I am having dinner from El Tarasco, not happy.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: So a gringo goes to El Mariachi....

by James Natsis » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Our school systems from the Feds, to the States on down are normally run by monolinguists who mainly value testing kids in English and Math. It doesn't seem to matter that 15% of our population is Hispanic, and the rest of our hemisphere is primarily Hispanic. I've been fighting the cause for years. Its a waste to only expose the brunt of our youth to just one language. Kids don't need to necessarily grow up bilingual, but at least be familiar with the basics of a second language.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm sorry about that, Linda. It's such a lovable place, and the folks there really try to communicate. My Spanish is pretty awkward, although I'm working on it, but when we were there at lunch, I found that some of the staff didn't speak any English at all, but a couple of the servers had no real problem communicating. In cases of doubt, pointing at the menu made it easy.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 pm

My husband is from Harrodsburg , never took languages and is a senior citizen, he gets a pass. I’m ticked that I didn’t get my meal! You’d think one person would understand “ carry out” though, but I think he gave up too soon.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:47 am

No criticism intended of your husband, Linda! I'm sure he tried his best, but language barrier issues can be tough. I just wanted to clarify that we were able to order a delicious lunch without any problems.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 am

1. The young man who seems to run the front of the house at dinner time is the only one we've found who understands some English, but pointing at the menu and sign language has worked for us.

2. For whatever it's worth, I graduated from HS and college about 90% fluent in a foreign language, but as there seem to be few countries where Latin is the national language (other than parts of Vatican City) it hasn't seems to help a whole lot.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:44 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:2. For whatever it's worth, I graduated from HS and college about 90% fluent in a foreign language, but as there seem to be few countries where Latin is the national language (other than parts of Vatican City) it hasn't seems to help a whole lot.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
For what it's worth, the same principles apply to a much lower percentage command of grad school Hebrew and Greek.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Btw, I will return and often, three times now in several months, but I will send a note with him! They might have a language barrier, but they are super nice and we love their food. He gives up too easily. We were somewhere in rural Italy, they had 2 dishes. They brought out the cuts of meat, we still have no idea what we ate, but it was delicious and they were slapping us on the back and we had a great time! Luckily, I’m pretty good with languages because we like the villages and tiny places. Many funny moments. Then there’s always technology....
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 am

In Mexico, I told him to say good morning to the maid and he said “ Buenos Aires”. In Spain, he said “Adios amigos” to his female servers. You get it.

My husband is from Harrodsburg , never took languages and is a senior citizen, he gets a pass. I’m ticked that I didn’t get my meal!

but I will send a note with him! They might have a language barrier, but they are super nice and we love their food. He gives up too easily.

Here is a suggestion for you Linda...YOU go and get the food, and backoff your poor husband! :D