Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Fresh Thyme closing 24th

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am

Just saw this. Admittedly we rarely went, but it seemed to blend in with Lucky's and may have been too close to Whole Foods?
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Fresh Thyme closing 24th

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:47 am

I saw that post on NextDoor the other day. Should have posted it here, d'oh.

Honestly, we went in there once when it was new and didn't go back a second time. It wasn't bad, but despite the branding, we thought it seemed more like a smaller Kroger than a smaller Whole Food. It wasn't quite on our regular paths, so nothing to really draw us in. I don't know if that was a typical response or not.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:49 pm

I went occasionally. It's also really close to the Hubbards Lane Kroger and the Walmart grocery, which probably didn't help. They seemed to be a little heavy on supplements / natural health products of dubious merits. Other than that, I thought it was a nice store.

Their yogurt dipped mini pretzels were yummy.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:37 pm

I went there early on as well and was not impressed. I'm a Trader Joes fan myself. They defy the common business model, flipping it basically on its head. Their success is undeniable. Whole Foods does their own thing well also.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:17 pm

I've gone there maybe 10 times-- but mainly for their deli roast beef sandwich and soups, store-brand teas (Ginger and Moroccan mint), and oatmeal date bars (delicious but not as healthy as they sound...). Their dried fruit and nuts selection is impressive-- but I've bought from it only twice. Tried some of their dips and snacks, and was not impressed with those. Will miss a convenient place for a good roast beef with horseradish sandwich (they really could potentially have been the ones who put Top Round out of business)! I wonder if Kroger has those? They had similar pre-made sandwiches for a time, but last time I went they were gone.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 pm

MarieP wrote:I've gone there maybe 10 times-- but mainly for their deli roast beef sandwich and soups, store-brand teas (Ginger and Moroccan mint), and oatmeal date bars (delicious but not as healthy as they sound...). Their dried fruit and nuts selection is impressive-- but I've bought from it only twice. Tried some of their dips and snacks, and was not impressed with those. Will miss a convenient place for a good roast beef with horseradish sandwich (they really could potentially have been the ones who put Top Round out of business)! I wonder if Kroger has those? They had similar pre-made sandwiches for a time, but last time I went they were gone.

While not really close to the Shelbyville road corridor, I will say that the Mid City Mall Valu Market has a great roast beef sandwich with horseradish cheddar cheese called the "Grinstead." It's worth checking out if you are jonesing for that kind of thing.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:While not really close to the Shelbyville road corridor, I will say that the Mid City Mall Valu Market has a great roast beef sandwich with horseradish cheddar cheese called the "Grinstead." It's worth checking out if you are jonesing for that kind of thing.

Yum-- I will have to try it out sometime! I've liked the hot plates I've gotten there before too. I actually went to Fresh Thyme right after reading this thread and enjoyed a sandwich. Word has it that it will become a Planet Fitness. Must be for all the beer-drinkers from Liquor Barn and all the food-eaters from Fresh Thyme!
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:54 am

Guess I am one of the few on here that actually liked Fresh Thyme loved their in house made sausages and they frequently had them on sale at 1.99 a lb. I also got a lot of produce there as well. I will miss them. :shock:
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm

This makes me sad!

Fresh Thyme has become one of my favorite grocery stores- great produce that is far less expensive than Whole Foods. And they have a lot of great Fresh Thyme brand products that were unique and that I will definitely miss! They had several products I've never seen at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or any other area grocery store, that have become staples in my diet.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:47 pm

I’ll miss them too. They had a few things u couldn’t grab at other stores. My kids fave multi vitamin, and this great block of grass fed beef chili in the freezer section that tastes fantastic and a great go to when in a dinner pinch! If they have a going out of business sale I’m gonna stock up.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:50 am

I shopped there several times. We liked the prepared pasta dishes. I thought a Fresh Thyme was going to be part of the development in Fern Creek past the Snyder. It was supposed to open in late 2018 but they haven't really started on it.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Richard S. wrote:I shopped there several times. We liked the prepared pasta dishes. I thought a Fresh Thyme was going to be part of the development in Fern Creek past the Snyder. It was supposed to open in late 2018 but they haven't really started on it.

That project is way behind schedule after they promised us the world. Nonetheless, if Fresh Thyme does end up coming in, I'll bet that they do well there. The competition would be Kroger and Walmart. In addition, people south of the Snyder and down to Mt Washington come up that way for better eats. That is why the restaurants in that area do surprisingly well.
James J. Natsis
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I saw that post on NextDoor the other day. Should have posted it here, d'oh.

Honestly, we went in there once when it was new and didn't go back a second time. It wasn't bad, but despite the branding, we thought it seemed more like a smaller Kroger than a smaller Whole Food. It wasn't quite on our regular paths, so nothing to really draw us in. I don't know if that was a typical response or not.

I had the same experience, Robin. Just couldn't figure out what niche they were filling that wasn't already represented by so many other stores mentioned in this thread. I did the obligatory tour and never returned.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Saw this location (and the closed K-Mart on Poplar Level) are going to become the 18th and 19th Planet Fitness's in this area. Planet Fitness must have deep pockets!
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Fresh Thyme isn't going to open in Fern Creek. They were originally slated to go into the property across from the new Southpointe Commons entrance (I heard where a church once stood). That was in 2016.

https://insiderlouisville.com/economy/n ... town-road/

I have heard nary a peep about this "Bardstown Pavilion." I googled it and only came up with the articles from 2016. It looks like once Fresh Thyme pulled out, the developer canceled their plans. I checked the developer's website, and there is no mention of any construction in Kentucky. So all of those houses on that corner were bought out and a church torn down for nothing.

Maybe they thought Southpointe Commons was going to fall through (as it looked for a while), and when that didn't happen they bailed?

As for Southpointe, the only announced opening is Panera, set for April of next year. Lowe's was supposed to be their main tenant, but all of a sudden they're backing off on that. Their FB page says they have no answer to that question at this time. :shock: Then again Lowe's was laying off employees by the droves, so they may not move in there after all. That development has met with one delay after another, but at least the roads have been constructed now.
Next