Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Where to go? Plus shout out to Whiskey Dry.

by Robin F. » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 am

Ok - we’re stuck in a rut so I’m looking for suggestions. Dinner, can be casual or higher end, but want table service. It doesn’t have to be a new place.

I’ll start. We finally made it to Whiskey Dry yesterday for an early dinner after ATL matinee. It was delicious! I had the Big Ed burger, onion rings and an Old Fashion (it was happy hour - on a Sunday!). Hub had patty melt, tater tots, and a beer. It was all great (including the cocktail) and our sever Sierra was genuinely friendly.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Where to go? Plus shout out to Whiskey Dry.

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:54 am

Robin F. wrote:Ok - we’re stuck in a rut so I’m looking for suggestions. Dinner, can be casual or higher end, but want table service. It doesn’t have to be a new place.

So many choices! Seviche is always a winner, and so are Decca, Rye and Wiltshire. If you want to spend a little less, Lupo is always fun, and I love the food and the oh-so-Italian bar at Ciao. Bourbons Bistro? Cross the river to Hull and Highwater, Exchange Pub, Brooklyn and the Butcher and many more. Sit-down Mexican? I love El Mariachi on La Grange Road, or head out to El Molcajete ... the list just goes on and on. :)
no avatar
User

PaulSmith

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:38 pm

by PaulSmith » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 am

Also on the Indiana side: The Standard Plate and Pour. It's in the spot that used to be home to Gospel Bird. The setting is casual but intimate. The food was delicious—be sure to try the hummus and pickled carrots. The service was great (our dinner took a little longer than expected, and they went out of their way to make sure we still had a great experience). There are so many restaurants we still want to try in New Albany (Pints & Union, The Earl), but this one is at the top of our list for a return visit.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:13 am

PaulSmith wrote:Pints & Union

You'll want to get there soon. Really great pub. The food is above decent, too, although it might not be quite the sit-down atmosphere that Robin F is looking for.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 am

Our current go-to's.

https://chiknandmi.com/
Stupid cheap happy hour at the bar M-F from 4-6.

http://www.redhogartisanmeat.com/#menu-section
Everything is fantastic. The grill is actually an open wood fire. Great cocktail program. Order at the bar, then table service.

https://www.ryeonmarket.com/
Constantly rotating menu of interesting and delicious food. Great cocktail program.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:03 am

I'll play: La Chasse
Both meals I've had there have been among the best I've had in years in this town. Every bite simple perfection. My wife and I usually try to carefully ration our top-table bills, but that place has me willing to open the wallet more frequently.
Also, Noche is now open and it looks (and smells) great. We popped in on Saturday for a peak and to check the wait (~1-1/2 hour so we went elsewhere), and were impressed with the space. Menu looks good as well.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:32 am

Agree with many of the above, but next time you want an early dinner - and the weather is as nice as it was yesterday - try Captain's Quarters outside (often too long a wait later) . . . great views of the river/barges/boats/et al, good drinks, not spectacular but decent food, relaxing experience!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Agree with many of the above, but next time you want an early dinner - and the weather is as nice as it was yesterday - try Captain's Quarters outside (often too long a wait later) . . . great views of the river/barges/boats/et al, good drinks, not spectacular but decent food, relaxing experience!

No doubt. The place is awesome on a nice day. But, as you state, the wait is often too long. We went by there yesterday evening. It was packed as could be expected and the wait was about 50 minutes. We didn't feel like waiting because we were pretty hungry so we went elsewhere . But its certainly worth the wait under other circumstances.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Harvest or Seviche.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks all! So many places to try and retry. First up, Bourbon’s Bistro this week, Wiltshire on Market next.